German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed 8 month male dominant pup
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
xtramile

This is something we have tried and it is working rally well so far. Take something that your dog has a lot of drive for, in our case it is a ball. we got a ball on a rope and would drape it over my right shoulder while he is sitting at my left hand side. If, like you said he is not jumping up a lot anymore and he knows that to get what he wants he has to get it through you then he should just stare straight at you/the ball. Do a couple sessions on rewarding him for being in this position (several times a day, for about five days). If need be keep a short lead on him to prevent slip ups for the first few sessions. Then slowly start taking a few steps and gradually ease it to very short walks with frequent rewards and a light hand on corrections.

Do a fair amount of research on proper use of prong collars and determine if it is right for your dog or not.With a gentle hand it has improved our walks a lot and allowed us to better communicate with our boy. By no means am I a proven reference, just sharing what has worked for us.

On a side note, I do not know your dog and have not read your previous posts, but it sounds like you do not have a "dominant" dog. Just a high energy high drive dog. From what I understand truly dominant dogs are rare and require professional training almost 100% of the time. They do not do anything they do not think they should, are constantly making attempts to "climb the ladder" and can be difficult to even live with.
xtramile is offline   Reply With Quote