German Shepherds Forum banner

He or She? And why?

2K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Nigel 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new here and am just wondering what is everybody's preference when it comes to female or male dogs, and why?

I'm on my second female GSD and I've had a female beagle. Since I've only had females, I just stuck with it this time. (Also have 4 human daughters)

IMO females seem to be a little more nurturing and I guess motherly. My month old GSD is really sweet. She runs around the house taking inventory of everybody when we are not in the same room. Also, lays with us when we aren't feeling well.

Cuddling with my youngest.
Felidae Fur Cat Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats

9 weeks to 16 weeks
Dog breed Dog Mammal Canidae German shepherd dog

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#3 ·
I have always only had GSD bitches, however I got my very first male almost 3 years ago now, and I have to say, I love having a male - he is very affectionate, constantly wants to please me and only gets involved in situations if there is a real need to.

Whereas my girls have always been much more aloof compared to him and will bark and carry on at an ant that is walking across the driveway! (joking but close to it).

Atm if I had to choose between sexes, I would probably choose a male

#4 ·
currently, I'm in a battle with my male... he's ALL puppy and doofus doesn't begin to cover it. My females have always been WAY easier and more content with being close but not on top of me all the time. I love my male but he has a lot of growing up still to do and maturing to do. He's 10 months old. I was burnt out on females because that's all I've had since our first male mix who was PTS this time last year. I wanted a male like you wouldn't believe. They're definitely slower to mature, like with humans. He's a sweetie but he overstimulates *probably more my issue than his* and lacks focus for more than a couple minutes which drives me crazy for training.

As it stands right now, if I ever manage to convince my husband for a third dog, I'll likely choose another female. They're more serious, even early on, and seem to pick things up more quickly. My stance may change as my male matures more though. There's benefits to both but right now, my mild frustration is leading me to no more males for a very long time lol.

#6 ·
currently, I'm in a battle with my male... he's ALL puppy and doofus doesn't begin to cover it. My females have always been WAY easier and more content with being close but not on top of me all the time. I love my male but he has a lot of growing up still to do and maturing to do. He's 10 months old. I was burnt out on females because that's all I've had since our first male mix who was PTS this time last year. I wanted a male like you wouldn't believe. They're definitely slower to mature, like with humans. He's a sweetie but he overstimulates *probably more my issue than his* and lacks focus for more than a couple minutes which drives me crazy for training.

As it stands right now, if I ever manage to convince my husband for a third dog, I'll likely choose another female. They're more serious, even early on, and seem to pick things up more quickly. My stance may change as my male matures more though. There's benefits to both but right now, my mild frustration is leading me to no more males for a very long time lol.
Not only the bolded part but this is also your first working line dog. They can be more intense/more annoying/more work.

#5 ·
Male, always.

My boys are all about me, they want to please me, they want to be near me, they make me laugh, they make me feel loved, I am their world. I am their favorite person/toy/place to lay. They are my shadows, where I go, they go. I like that they are larger than females, I like that they have easy going attitudes, I like that they have the "what can I do for you" mentality. I have grown up with females, lived with females, owned a female and spend a lot of time with females and I just don't care for them. I will always have multiple male dogs. :wub:

Now before everyone thinks I am a female hater, I have 4 female cats, that I love. :)

#15 ·
Looks like a mixed bag when it comes to male or female. But sounds like, in general, GSDs are affectionate, protective, intelligent, family loving, and sometimes, (maybe most of the time) goofballs.

Lauren, I've noticed with lots of GSDs that they tend to "shadow" ladies. My female is always under my feet. My husband nicknamed her my shadow. And with my friends that have GSDs (male or female) they also say they follow the ladies of the house. Maybe it's just a protective trait in the breed.

Thanks for the replies! Noelle

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#7 · (Edited)
Lauren, I know which is what I wanted. I think you forget I had Zena as my first PB though lol. She was a handful. Way more than Dax. Pretty sure she had some working lineage in there. His constant whining just drives me nuts!!! I like that makes are more goofy but I prefer the more seriousness at the same time.

Btw, Draco growling at the tv cracks me up!!!

#8 ·
I've always had females. My experience with all of them is they are all more aloof. There when you need them but not as loving unless they want it. I'm ok with that, but my wife would like a more affectionate dog.

We have an 11 week old male now. He is my first male ever. Jury is still out. Our breeder told us in her experience with the males, they tend to be more people oriented. They bond better than females and want to be near you more. I'm waiting to see how he turns out.

#9 ·
Growing up I had males dogs, a beagle and a lab/terrier mix. Both became a little aggressive once they matured.

As an adult I've had two females. We love having them probably because I also have twin daughters, its a girls house. My poor husband was so sad to have our really macho tom cat die a couple years ago.Now my husband feels out numbered. Both females became very sweet as adults, nurturing to puppies we meet and with our cats, we like how emotional they get too.

#10 ·
Males only for me! Growing up, we had a female dog and a male dog, and our female was always so... bitchy (for lack of a better term)! The male was just much more laid back about everything. Same goes for cats; I always preferred our male cat to our female cats. This gender bias has followed me to adulthood - I have a male dog and two male cats. My husband had a female cat years ago, and she was nuts. Really quirky and weird IMO. I think there's also some truth to the idea that if given the option between a male human and female human, the pet will bond more closely with the opposite sex (male pets to female humans, female pets to male humans). Obviously not the case all the time, but this has been true in my personal experience.

#11 ·
Had 1 dog and 3 bitches over the years.

Perhaps, due to my first experience with a dog, I chose bitches after that due to the notion that bitches seem to be more territorial and "stay home" versus a dog.

I wonder if the "aloofness" which many cite as a characteristic of either of the sexes of GSDs is simply more a trait of the breed rather the sex of the GSD.

I can't really say that I wouldn't get a dog but since I have had such wonderful luck with GSD bitches....why change what is already working so well.

I'm confident either gender of GSDs make for wonderful companions, but it is a good question as to why the preference.

SuperG

#12 ·
I've had both. Both in German Shepherds and in other breeds. My males have been very affectionate and velcro'd ... EXCEPT my current male. So he's making me rethink the whole 'males are more people pleasers/lovers'. I will say my females have been very family oriented, loving pets. I don't see that it's a gender thing. I think it's an individual dog thing.

#13 ·
I thought I wanted a male as that's what I've always had for dogs, but man do I love my female GSD. She is a little spitfire; pushy, drivey, social yet sassy - I think it is so much fun. I don't think I'd ever have two females at a time, and I currently also have two males that I love to death (one GSD and one lab).

#14 ·
Grew up with GS dog and it was great (exzcept stopping at every post and hydrant LOL), adopted golden femal 9 years ago and she has been absolutely wonderful, very family oriented so decided to expand family by adding GS female puppy and she is now year old. Like I said, with females you do not have issue with peeing all over the place when on walks, they are very affectionate and stay close to you (very protective of kids even our golden alwayz put her in beetween kids and strangers), boys are great as well, tend to be bit bigger so if you want to stay on smaller size, stick to girls.

#16 ·
I had a female beagle when I was younger, whom I loved. A female rat terrier that I rehomed 3 years ago whom I was never able to bond with.

The other 4 dogs I've owned have been boys! I love 'em. I'll always have boys. :)

#17 ·
Our first family dog is a female. I've developed a dislike for her. She's demanding, annoying, dominating, and very independent. (I'm not concluding that all females are like this.)
I absolutely LOVE my two male German Shepherds! They are sweetly affectionate, loyal, they follow me wherever I go, and they accept me as the pack leader.
I love the masculinity of my intact male.
Both of my males are goofballs, which I think is adorable and makes them fun.
Harley (five years old) doesn't mark much. He rarely marks on walks, and NEVER marks in the house.
Varick (17 months old) doesn't even mark yet. He has only had three accidents in the house (urinating) when he was a young pup, and he hasn't had one since.
I will never own a female. I will always have males. :)

#18 ·
For quite a few years, I was all about the females, and preferred them in any critters I owned. Then some males came into my life, and I've discovered that no matter what stereotype you choose, there are exceptions. Each dog is an individual, and I just can't justify one being better than the other. That being said, if everything else is equal, I'll probably choose the male, but still kinda lean a little bit toward female. I'm such an oddball.

#19 ·
I prefer male dogs. We have two males and one female. The female, is a bit ...idk how to describe it... she starts fights more, can be cranky, but she likes to cuddle also. I have always felt more of a bond with male dogs. They seem to be more affectionate. I really don't know how to describe it.

#20 ·
I have/had both.

Started with all males, that I absolutely adored, for their doofiness, velcro, biddability, easy trainers..

Got a female, who taught me "everything" , have a female now. Both of them were much more possessive of me, than my males, more serious, I wouldn't say more independent, but more daring, ready to try/go for anything I threw at them. Faster to mature, teach them something once and they get it, lets move on:)

I like both genders for different reasons.

#21 ·
We have two females, one male and I prefer my girls. I find what Jakoda states holds true for my experience as well. Mine are very Velcro, where I go, they go and no matter what I'm doing they are usually content, even watching hockey. Very quick learner's, they made me look good in class even when my effort could be better. There were times when we played games all week long, crammed in a couple short session of "this weeks work" and still shined in class.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.