German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - What to do if another dog attacks your while on leash
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member
Default What to do if another dog attacks your while on leash

Hi everyone,

I just moved into a large building with a lot of dogs. Most of them are friendly and most interactions are perfectly fine. However, there are a few dogs that are a little more aggressive towards mine (my uneducated guess: male aggression especially with him being an un-neutered male and the 3 dogs aggressive towards him are males as well - 3 out of 100+ dogs).

I am asking for advice on how to handle a situation where I come out to the common yard and another dog attacks mine while we are on leash.

My dog is of course perfectly capable of defending himself but I do not need to put him or myself in that situation so I generally avoid the dog runs / parks etc and stick to ourselves and our training / playing is generally just me and him.

Now, in this building we have an enclosed dog run which I avoid like the plague and a front yard which is not a designated off leash area but people will take their dogs out off leash there and management seems to be ok with it.

However I do come out from the front yard and have seen the dogs that shown aggression towards mine off leash in that area and I just want to be prepared (luckily every time I was by myself on my way to work).

So, what would you do if you come out with your dog (your dog is on-leash as you are preparing to walk him) and another rather large dog (great dane, husky, and field lab) attacks yours. Would you drop the leash to give your dog a better chance while you break it up? Would you hold onto the leash to be able to control your dog? Would you put yourself between the two dogs?

My plan: keep the leash in my hand, move my dog behind me if I can, and kick the **** out of the other one if he comes near mine. That's it. But, I am worried about putting my own dog at a disadvantage when the other dog attacks since he can't run/fight/move with the leash restraining him.

I just want to be prepared is all. And I know this sounds like a high school / childish question to ask but I want to be ready and do the best I can in keeping everyone out of harm's way if the situation occurs.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Lady - snuggle extraordinaire!
ayoitzrimz is offline   Reply With Quote