German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - One year old weight
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Harry and Lola
Master Member

He is very tall and long, he does not look overweight, his weight looks great to me. The average 1yo GSD male is around the 75pound range, however looking at yours, he is not average due to his height and length.

Guidelines are good to go by in terms of knowing average weights, if your GSD is way under or over then if makes you question whether there is something wrong or not. In my case Harry, my 3yo GSD male, was way under the average weight for his age, so this sort of woke me up and I questioned the vet why - turns out there is a medical reason and he is being treated for it now.

With yours, average guidelines are making you and your Vet question why he is heavy - which is great. So you and your Vet need to consider why - is it a medical issue (I doubt it), his high weight is clearly due to larger height and length.

Some Vets are familiar with good weights for GSDs, some are not, this is a great opportunity to point out to your Vet that yes he is way above average weight for his age, however his height and length are above average too.

This dog is a perfect example of using your eyes and hands to determine a healthy weight. Look at him from above - does he have a nice trim weight. Look at his sides - can you clearly see his ribs (you shouldn't be able to). Feel his sides - can you feel his ribs through a thin layer of fat? Due to his larger body proportions, I would use this technique for him rather than weight guidelines.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote