German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - 9 yr old with rear weakness thinking of VOM, any thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
MaddysMom

Default 9 yr old with rear weakness thinking of VOM, any thoughts?

Maddy is now 9 and has been displaying right rear leg weakness. This started about a year ago, and she was taken to Cornell for a diagnostic workup. They said she had mild arthritis, and some spondylosis of the lumbar spine, along with calcification of one of the tendons that connects the inner muscle of her thigh to her bone. Her hips looked great and no other real issues. After a couple of months of NSAID therapy, along with some gabapentin, and tramadol, she was back to normal.

About 3 months ago she began limping again on that leg, first it was hardly noticeable, and has since progressed to crossing the back legs, and tripping. After the tripping started occurring I freaked out, thinking the worse case scenario, that she had DM, even though previous testing showed other age related issues last year. I am currently having her tested for DM, just to clear my mind.

In the meantime I have been looking at other therapies to help improve the condition. She is currently on Previcox and Glucosamine everyday, along with Tramadol as needed. I have been considering Veterinary Orthopedic Manipulation. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with this? Also considering acupuncture.

Any opinions, good or bad, are welcome.