German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - tri-tronics vs. dogtra
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
martincho

Default tri-tronics vs. dogtra

Back sixteen years ago I used a two-dog TT collar and was very happy with it. I don't have the equipment any more and now need to buy a brand new setup. I noticed Dogtra coming up in serious circles and wanted to hear from people who have used both brands.

Two things jump out immediately from what I can remember about TT.

First, with the TT transmitter I used to own you had a toggle switch to select between the two dogs. The pushbuttons would give you low, mid and high stimulation (when pressed together). This was great because you could very quickly move up and down a scale of stimulations. Each collar was setup for the corresponding dog. No unexpected changes at any time. Easy to use.

I did not mind the larger tubular transmitter. In fact, I actually liked the feel. In addition to that it was visible. When I sometimes worked the dogs off-leash at large local parks I remember people did notice I had the dogs under "remote control". A tiny little transmitter would not put out that message. This was also effective when approached by law enfocement. A lot of them recognized the TT transmitter and knew I wasn't screwing around with a pair of uncontrolled GSD's off leash. They'd usually ask me to show them what I could do and then ask that I keep them on leash as much as possible (which I did anyhow).

What concerns me about Dogtra is that it doesn't seem to have a quick way to ratchet stimulation up and down.

Hypothetical example: Training dog to not cross the street unless commanded with "cross". After the dog is well trained you might want to up the volume and get him out to a really busy avenue. If the dog goes off the sidewalk it could get killed. In this case, being able to go from a low tingle to a stopping stimulation might be a matter of life and death. With TT that is easy.

With Dogtra, well it seems impossible as you have to fumble with that wheel back and forth to change the stimulation level delivered by the one-and-only button.

The other concern with Dogtra is that the stimulation level can be modified without you knowing it if the knob is turned for any reason. Do they have a lockout?

Similar issues or questions about multi-dog setups. How do you know where your stim is set to? Or if it has changed? And how do yo navigate up/down stim levels with multiple dogs...safely?

To continue with the hypothetical example from above: So I just stopped dog #1 from walking onto the street with a high stimulation after quickly turning the dial and pushing the button (which would take far more time than simply pushing two buttons together). Now I switch back to dog #2 and need a normal light stimulation setting. Do I have to rotate the dial back to a low setting? It sure seems that way. And then, if I forgot that I had rotated the dial to a high stim setting for dog #1 and go to correct him for something minor I am going to stimulate at a far more than desired.

Not sure if I fully understand how the Dogtra's work. It seems to me that the system they use is far from ideal for anything past one dog. Perhaps Dogtra is better for single dog situations for some reason but not so for multiple dogs?

I'd appreciate input from people experienced with both brands as well as using them in the context of running more than one dog at a time.

Thanks!
martincho is offline   Reply With Quote