German Shepherds Forum banner

Need some advice on rehoming

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  tim_s_adams 
#1 ·
We are fostering a 21mo old neutered GSD, until we can find him a new home.

My question is, when we do find the right home for him, is it best to have his new owner pick him up or should we drop him off?

#3 ·
We recently adopted a older GSD from a breeder and I felt like all parties came out feeling confident they were doing the right thing. We first met in a neutral area (a dog park) and we got to meet Yann and his owners. We talked for a long time, they got an idea of what our home was like and what we wanted with him, and we got an idea of his personality and why they were rehoming him. A few days later, after we had talked it over and decided to adopt him, they came to our house to make sure we had suitable living conditions for him and to help us introduce him to our existing dog. They made a copy of my driver license and recorded my address and gave me his vet records. I had to have him checked up by a vet and updated on his vaccines and send them a copy of that before they sent me his papers. This adoption process was the most solid I had ever experienced, and I felt it was a good thing. They had a bad experience trying to rehome him before us and he ended up chained up in a backyard full of brambles expected to be a "guard" dog, and they had to track down the guy to get him back after the guy called them asking why he didn't bite :-/ It took two weeks to get all the brambles out of his coat (he's long haired), poor guy, but they checked up on him recently to deliver his papers and everybody was pleased with his home and condition :)

#7 ·
What is the purpose of taking a copy of your DL and address?

After you have approved the new owner and home, IMO it's better if the new owner picks him up and takes him to his new home if possible. I just think the dog forms a quicker and stronger bond if his new human physically takes him to his new home. I've adopted all of my dogs (all from breeders) and that's the way I've always done it. Just my opinion.
Were these puppies or adult dogs?

#4 ·
I used to do home checks for GSRNE and AUssie rescue.

Havery has given their good experience..

I would definitely want to check out the potential adopters home. Where will the dog be kept when they are home/not home? Do they take vacations? where does the dog go? Is the yard fenced? Do they have alot of company/little kids running around?

Are they willing to take the dog to obedience classes if needed?

I would want to speak to their vet, if they don't have one who will they use? Are they prepared to spend alot of money should a medical emergency should arise?

MY approach was always, would I myself, place one of MY dogs in the persons home.

#5 ·
The rescue I foster for has done it both ways but before they are allowed to meet the dog, someone has already called their references (including vet) and done some sort of interview and home check.

#6 ·
After you have approved the new owner and home, IMO it's better if the new owner picks him up and takes him to his new home if possible. I just think the dog forms a quicker and stronger bond if his new human physically takes him to his new home. I've adopted all of my dogs (all from breeders) and that's the way I've always done it. Just my opinion.

#8 ·
I said in another thread; a breeder told me a couple years ago the best placement he had was with a guy who lived out of his vehicle. The dog was all the guy had and the center of his world. He said the dog probably had more attention and better care than most folks children.

What people have doesn't make them a good owner.

Good luck, hope your fostering experience goes well!

#10 · (Edited)
Personally, I like to deliver the dog and help make sure everyone settles in together, and do the adoption paperwork then. It's the last stage of the process, a final check to make sure everyone's happy -- after meet-and-greets, vet and personal reference checks, and all the other screening is done.

It allows me to make sure if there's an existing dog, we do a good re-intro instead of the adopter just marching in the house with the new dog. Even though the dogs have met at least once before, in order to approve the adoption, we still want it to go smoothly when the new dog arrives, so we like to help with it.

While there, we go over all the things to expect the first couple of nights, crate placement, collars, commands, potty schedule, etc. It's often a long visit, but while we talk, the dog is relaxing and getting acclimated to the smells of the new place, the voices, etc. We also have lots of time to verify that things really are as they seem to be in the application and feel very comfortable about the placement, before we leave the dog there.

As long as the home check is done at some point, delivery of the dog is not a requirement, but adopters seem to like it (as do I).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.