German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - A humbling experience - something for folks to consider when giving training advice
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
jocoyn
Zombie Queen Moderator

It is funny the subtle things an experienced trainer can pick up on. I like the police (the trainers - I am sure some of the K9 handlers are on the same learning curve as I) because it is real. There are real consequences if their dog bites improperly or is not reliable with detection work. We really *thought* he was a hard independent dog. I guess, maybe, he is *rank* dog but I don't know. I think I don't know anything right now . But that is ok. I certainly know how teammates feel when we have them take a dog back to the foundation.

Fortunately, I have not had issues with him false alerting, perhaps, by doing the things I know we do to mess our dogs up (like standing, staring at the distracter etc.) but I think dogs are so good at reading body language who knows? My crutch may be that I have been good enough at reading his body language that most of the time I can tell the difference between "interesting odor" and "source odor".

We have done speed drills on our own where someone is behind you with a long line, you work a row of boxes and keep moving and the dog needs to indicate quickly and stay with source while you keep moving but it has been awhile and I was going to ask him about those. I have not done these drills with Beau but have worked the wall enough to see the value in primary reward. Will definitely work with him on all these things.

Right now he is very independent with his searching and does not look to me while working an area scanning for odor, but does look to me when the time comes to make a final decision. Subtle subtle subtle little changes in my body language the average civilian would not notice. Does that make sense?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote