German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Bunny Hop//Cow hocks??
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mocha

Default Bunny Hop//Cow hocks??

Okay, first of all, since joining this site I have turned into the MOST paranoid puppy momma ever! Every time someone posts a problem about their puppy I automatically check mine for the same and think he has it! Second, I'm learning a lot of things that I had never heard of before.

ANYWAYS, since reading a post about "bunny hopping" and "cow hocks", I'm freaking out. My puppy does this hop (or so I think). Should I be concerned about it? He is only 6 months old and I always just thought it was a puppy bounce he likes to do. But now I'm having second paranoid thoughts. Any insight on this? He does run A LOT at the dog park, and loves jumping high in the air for tennis balls. Could this have possibly affected his hips and caused the hop? I know his growth plates are still developing, but I thought since the ground is almost always soft and muddy that he should be okay. I've never let him run, wrestle, or jump for balls on hard cement. I hope I didn't do anything wrong. For the first month I had him I carried him up/down stairs and also lifted him on and off of my bed (actually did this for several months because my bed is so high).

Next, I'm having trouble determining if my dog is cow hocked or just clumsy. This might seem like a stupid question, but I've been sitting with him and comparing him with pictures and I just can't make the call. I feel as though my judgement is clouded because I'm worried.

I'm attaching videos and pictures (hopefully they work). Some of them aren't the best quality so I've added multiple. Don't mind the mess, he seems to only like the muddiest portion of the park
Attached Thumbnails
Bunny Hop//Cow hocks??-hind2.jpg   Bunny Hop//Cow hocks??-rhind1.jpg   Bunny Hop//Cow hocks??-hind3.jpg   Bunny Hop//Cow hocks??-hind4.jpg  

Last edited by Mocha; 01-18-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Mocha is offline   Reply With Quote