German Shepherds Forum banner

Advice on exposed quick

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Chip18 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,
my boy started licking his paw over week ago, and after mine inspection I find out that quick is exposed. It started to look better after couple day (not pink anymore), but now it is back. He walks and runs just fine, but the area is tender to the touch. Somebody recommended Betadine to keep it clean so that is what I'm doing now, clean it twice a day.I included couple pictures.
Do you recommend vet visit????

See less See more
#4 ·
I wouldn't call it an emergency at all. The vet might want to sedate and then remove the nail on top so that it grows back more normally. If the dog lets you, I would maybe trim the top part as short as I could for now and just keep him from licking it to see if it starts to heal on its own. Thats all the vet would do anyways...

ETA: If it is infected, then a vet trip would be warranted. They would probably give antibiotics for it regardless.

#10 ·
ok so nail is gone, vet pull it out. he did not get any antibiotic, vet said just keep eye on it. Also vet said I can let it unwrap , just expose, not sure about that. anyway my boy doesn't seem to worry about missing nail at all, he wants play and run around :)

#12 ·
Keep an eye on him. Do the other nails look healthy and strong? There is an auto-immune condition which causes the nails to weaken. GSD's are one of the breeds that tend to get it.

If he suddenly breaks another nail, I'd start supplements suggested in the article. Many vets aren't aware of it so they wouldn't know to identify it. Symmetric Lupoid Onychodystrophy | Dermatology for Animals - Part 1

#13 ·
Keep an eye on him. Do the other nails look healthy and strong? There is an auto-immune condition which causes the nails to weaken. GSD's are one of the breeds that tend to get it.

If he suddenly breaks another nail, I'd start supplements suggested in the article. Many vets aren't aware of it so they wouldn't know to identify it. Symmetric Lupoid Onychodystrophy | Dermatology for Animals - Part 1
The other nails looks just fine. he probably done it while running like crazy in woods. Thanks for letting me know about the condition, never heard of it. Will keep eye on it. Just to make sure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.