German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Uneasy with new vet
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
petalsky

Unhappy Uneasy with new vet

I'm not sure if this is the right area of the forum but it does have to do with my puppy's behavior. I introduced my pup, Emery Sage in the new members area. Anyway, Thursday I took her to the vet to get shots/wormed along with my mother's pup, who we rescued from the same bad situation. My mother's puppy is very laid back and let the vet give her shots, check her over without moving.

When it was Emery's turn she kept mouthing the vet. The vet told me while my puppy was playing now if I didn't correct the issue it would lead to aggression. I told her that I had never heard of that and thought mouthing was a normal part of puppy play. I said I was redirecting her mouthing to toys. She preceded to tell me that I had to grab her muzzle until she calmed down and tried to demonstrate this on my puppy who got extremely upset. I told the vet I was using only positive training and not comfortable with that. So then she informed me I was going to have an aggressive dog if I did not teach her biting was not okay.

Am I missing something? Is this technique widely used to correct mouthing? It made me very uncomfortable, to say the least. Am I just being too soft or am I right to have misgivings about this vet?

P.S. I apologize for grammar/spelling, On my "smart" phone at the moment.
petalsky is offline   Reply With Quote