German Shepherds Forum banner

Difference in Size and Weight between Male and Female GS (Adults)

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Cassidy's Mom 
#1 ·
So i was wondering what is the Difference in Size and Weight between a adult male German Shepherd and a adult female German Shepherd?

#2 ·
There are varying weights, depending on height etc, however for the average GSD, an adult male (3yo) is a good weight between 79 and 88 pounds with 83 about average and a female between 61 and 70 with an average of about 66.

Males – between 12-20 weeks on average are gaining up to 2-2.75pounds max /week.
- between 20-26 weeks, gaining 1.65-2.2pounds max per week.
- between 26-35 weeks gaining 1-1.65pounds/week

Male GSD’s largely stop growing in height by 9 months and may gain an extra 1cm (maximum)in height by 15 months.

Females -
between 12-20 weeks are gaining up to 1.65-2.2pounds maximum week,
- between 20-26 weeks, gaining 1-1.65pounds maximum week,
- between 26-32 weeks, gaining 0.5-1pound/week

Female GSD’s largely stop growing in height by 8 months of age and may gain up to 1cm in height by 12-15 months of age.

#3 ·
Depends on the dog. I'm sure there are plenty of adult female GSDs that are larger than some males. According to the German standard, females should be approximately (converted from kgs) 48 1/2 to 70 1/2 pounds and males should be approximately 66 to 88 pounds, but not all GSDs are within standard.

My previous females have all been between 70 and 78 pounds, so a bit oversized. Halo is in the 56-58 pound range, putting her right at the mid-point of the standard for a female, and Keefer, the only male GSD I've had, is around 80 pounds, also within standard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.