German Shepherds Forum banner

Our Rescue Story - Raven

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  COSprings_John 
#1 ·
Our search for a new family companion came to an end in the most unexpected of ways. We were "originally" saving up for a purebred working line girl and researching breeders. Given that our last girl, Ripley, a gsb/boxer mix, was a rescue dog, we decided to reach out to a number of rescue agencies here and around the Colorado Denver area. As my wife reminded me, and often, that Ripley was a rescue and there were many dogs out there looking for their forever homes and in desperate need of rescue.

Having filled out the applications we were in a holding pattern for a potential suitable adoption candidate to become available. A few weeks before Christmas we noticed a GSD mix available for adoption from a rescue group in Denver, not one of those whom was on our original list. We contacted the agency and after some dialogue they told us that this particular rescue was real high energy and they wanted to find a home for her with acres to run and play.

The very kind lady from the agency though did mention in closing that they had a male and female rescue GSD/mix that may soon be available that were on their way up to Colorado from Oklahoma. Our interest was piqued again. It turned out that both puppies had been found abandoned in a field in OK, around 5 weeks of age. After 3 weeks of fostering they were being brought up to Denver for adoption and would arrive soon. My wife and I, after some lengthy discussion, both decided to head up to Denver to visit the pups - sadly, due to my work commitments, this meet and greet would have to wait for a week.

Here is the picture we received of the prospective pups, waiting for their trip to Denver (male on left, female on the right). Hard to say from these early puppy images if there truly was any GSD in the mix, in the end, to both my wife and I, we were not too worried.

Well, the intervening week passed by quickly and we were ready to head up and meet the pups. The adoption agency called us the day before the visit to let us know another couple had expressed interest in the boy puppy and they would not be able to place a "hold" on a pup for us. Undaunted, on a very cold and windy Thursday morning, 19 December, my first day of vacation for the Xmas break, we headed up to Denver.

Needless to say, I should have known better, within a few hours of arrival my wife and I were entranced by this playful, spirited, eager, outgoing baby girl. Papers signed, donations made, we were the proud new adoptive parents of "Raven", a 9 week old, GSD?/mix girl. Here was our first family photo before we left the foster home for the drive back to Colorado Springs. "The Proud Parents".

The journey back to Colorado Spring was uneventful and Raven slept most of the way. Arriving home our time as proud new puppy parents, the joys of house training, were to begin. Unfortunately, 12 hours after getting home, I ended up down at an Urgent Care and was diagnosed with pneumonia. My wife, back to the same Urgent Care a few days later with some nasty cold/sinus bug. Raven's first Xmas was not going to be spoiled by her sick parents and she proceeded to terrorize us for the next few weeks ! g'nome mercy puppy for sure!

Well, it is now a month later. Raven has grown so fast, our little babies don't stay that way forever. We are making some process on her house training, she has had all her shots and completed her first 2 training sessions with the trainer (btw, this turned out to be more training for us, than for her).

As she grows, we wonder if she really has any GSD in the mix at all, perhaps some lab, rotti, border collier, who knows. She is wonderful girl and we know we will have a wonderful life together.

Here's a few more of her pictures, alas, no "ears" up, but her ears do stand erect at times, or flop back into that pose when she's head back or resting.

Raven's first day at home, with "poor bear", she almost ripped the poor plushy toy's arm off on day one !!!

Raven with her "bling" collar, I know, I have no clue why I did it - a moment of madness I guess.

Raven in the cat tree, our 3 cats have corrupted her - though she does do her best to chase them and we do our best to stop her ! ARGGG ! she actually jumps from the sofa into the cat tree on her own...

I'll be sure to post some more pics as she grows, she is like a xenomorph dog (sci-fi reference) - changing her appearance every few days/week ! I wanted to post this message as an update to my first post here on these forums and my search for the newest companion for our family. Sometimes, the journey does not end at the destination you expect - ours went from purebred working line to rescue gsd/mix - with some doubt even on the gsd part ! We don't mind, in the end, she's our little girl.

John

See less See more
#2 ·
congratulations on your new furbaby and thank you for giving Raven a family and home. I like her bling . Every girl needs some. Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures.

#3 ·
Congratulations on the adoption of your new baby. Could be some GSD in there but it really doesn't matter once you fall in love does it? Enjoy!

#5 ·
John - I really enjoyed reading your post! Raven is beautiful and I do see GSD in that gorgeous puppy! I look forward to reading more 'Raven Adventures'!

#9 ·
Thanks everyone. Yes, I have gotten over the pneumonia. Three weeks, 2 different rounds of antibiotics, did the trick. The last medications noted in their usage, "also used to treat inhalation anthrax and the plague!". Dang, my wife always said i was a plague!

Raven is doing great now. Taught her to use use a "bell" by the door a few days ago to be let out in 20 mins flat. Proud "dog daddy" i was. Even video'd her ringing it. Every 15 minutes it's like the "Bells of St. Trinians" in the house. RING RING RING ! Little did i imagine the downside, she now rings the bell like a maniac to be let out - to get a stick, to look around the yard, to stick her head out the slats of the deck rails. Be careful what you wish for, bell training -- /sigh... now we need to work some more on the potty side of bell ringing... perhaps i'll start a thread in the dog training section, "how to rescue me from my own training endeavors" ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.