German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - How to deal with different personalities in puppies?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
JulieBays

Default How to deal with different personalities in puppies?

I'm not sure where to post this. Sasha has been my heart dog for the last 2 1/2 years. She's amazing but was a very difficult land shark. She is a high drive dog (and BYB). I spent hours and hours helping her become the best she can be. She and I have a routine and I love her. Right before Christmas, I got Hans. It's a long story but he's so sweet. He is nothing like Sasha. He doesn't have the same drive. It's probably a good thing but I need help in dealing with a lower drive dog. I am so used to Sasha that I am having problems learning how to cope with a laid back, less driven dog. Don't get me wrong, I ADORE and LOVE Hans. He is so amazing. I just want him to have the same fulfilling life as Sasha. So, I'm here to ask for your help.

As an example, I'm posting some pics. It tells the story. Here is Sasha at 4 months.

Now, here is my sweet boy Hans at 11 weeks.

And finally, here is Sasha during a major storm. It was 18 degrees outside when we went for our walk. All she cared about was her ball.

For some background, the only thing I know about Hans is that he lost his mother at 8 or 10 days old. She was a pure bred WGSD. I don't know about the father. Hans was one of 11 pups. I took him in at around 7 weeks of age (I think). He acted like he was starving to death and he still tries to nurse on things. He is not a land shark and is so sweet. He seems sad most of the time. Of course, this is my human feelings. He just seems to give up on tugging and playing too easy. What can I do to build his confidence?
Attached Thumbnails
How to deal with different personalities in puppies?-sasha-4-months-old..jpg   How to deal with different personalities in puppies?-img_0104.jpg   How to deal with different personalities in puppies?-img_0069.jpg