German Shepherds Forum banner

How much your dog costs

7K views 88 replies 47 participants last post by  mcdanfam 
#1 ·
So I was wondering, hopefully someone wouldn't mind telling me how much they spend on their dog yearly. On average of course, I'm sure know one actually knows the exact price unless you keep up with all that. Including vet visits and what not. How many vet visits must your dog go to a year? And does anyone have pet insurance? How much is it and does it cover any and everything that could happen to your dog?

#4 ·
My Shepard cost me a lot of money. Each month is a min of $80 just for food. Doesn't include anything else. She is only 8 months now. She always comes first tho. No matter what i'll always buy her needs/wants before my own. If your not ready to dedicate your money and time do not buy this breed. $$$ lots. Just look at spending a few thousand there first year....

#5 ·
My gsd has/is pretty darn healthy altho, last year she had a major health crisis in the spring. (some type of bacterial infection)..that cost alone was around 2-2500 bucks for a couple weeks worth of vet care , and she didn't stay there, she went daily for a week for med's, So that ONE occurance really put a dent in my finances (just paid it off yippee!).

She's 5 years old, and honestly with all my dogs, I can probably say I've had atleast ONE major crisis at one time or another with all of them.

If I have a year of good health, the cost isn't much. Food/toys/treats, hard to break it down with just one dog, as I have multiples. I don't vaccinate, I titer, so doing that bi annually, costs me around 85 a dog.. HW meds for my gsd are around 100 bucks a year (I only do HW /9months),,yearly checkup/hw/testing probably 150 or so for each dog. Food, again, hard to determine, I probably go thru 40lbs in about a month and half. could be off on that, I really don't keep track:)

Lets put it this way, just when you think things are going smoothly, something usually pops up that costs some money..

#8 ·
OMG. I tried to do this in my head I give up! A few things that I did:
-called the local vet that I was going to use and asked for a schedule and prices of routine care including spaying. That's a least a ball park of a healthy dog. The first year there are always more appointments. I do all recommended vaccines, and treat for heartworm, fleas and ticks.
-check out dog food prices based on what you are going to feed. I spend a lot more than I thought I would. She is very picky. I also spend a fair amount of money on toys, training treats, beds, collars, leashes, etc. Ok, a lot of money:)
-can find prices of crates on line.
-training classes?
-we also installed invisible fencing outside, so that's an added expense.

So, having said that, we absolutely love her! Mammal Vertebrate Dog Canidae Dog breed

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#9 ·
I spend about $100/month on dog food. $50/month on supplements. $30/week on random toys/treats/chews. $10/month on average for collars. One, maybe two vet visits a year per dog around $80 each, on average. $60/year on preventative.

That's not counting training classes and trials...

#10 ·
We have had our two right at a year....
This is for both dogs!

Food - $210 a month that is both combined with treats.

Toys/puzzles - $450 for the year

Supply's - leads, long lines, collars, backpacks, water bowls, paw pad cream, seat covers, brushes, nail clippers, grinder for nails, soaps $700

Vet - we found a great vet office visits are only $55 half of our old vet that had nothing good to say about shepherds and told us we were crazy if we brought one in the house with all the kids we have in and out. He had many horror story's to tell us! The new vet loves and adores them. Always brags on them, and can't believe how loving and gentle they are. She says dogs twice their age don't behave as well as they do. She also is great about meds and rechecks being discounted. Find a vet that loves animals and keeps cost within reason. All of the shots, test and preventive meds are only a couple of dollars difference in her office compared to the humane society. Here is the key! MILES has been to the vet twice...once of his puppy check, and once for his 1 year check. So he has cost 110$ for the year. His shots are all 7-18$ and were done by the vet tech, the office does not charge office visit if tech does shots. MILLIE is a bit different!!! She is adventurous, jumps before she thinks...and has been to the vet 7-8 times! She flew over the sofa (4 months...she jumped the love seat...cleared it!!!) as a pup, we thought she hit way to hard. Nothing was wrong but had her checked. She rammed a stick in her mouth/throat....had her checked and rechecked a few times to make sure healing was going okay. Meds were steroid and antibiotics. She climbed a tree, not with out permission (6months old) paw pads were a little sore so walked funny....vet told her to stop climbing trees, but simple visit as the fix was paw pad cream and ice pack. Anther time she was running so hard, slammed into the fence, had a swollen eye...nothing wrong other than a bruise that can cause swelling...:-/
Needless to say, Millie is more costly in vet bills but with all of her antics we have managed to stay well under $1000 for the year with all shots, preventive checks and screenings, meds, visits and rechecks...

Kennels/bedding - $500

Puppy classes -$800

Real dog classes - $100 a month but that is a discount and the guy does not do it for money, he does it for the love of the breed....so that is not a realistic price for normal working line dog training. Especially for two dogs!

Hope that helps... That is all I can think of off the top if my head. Ours are only 1 year old. They are extremely healthy. If Millie was not the basket case she is...we would have no vets bills....:-/

#11 ·
Most of ours was initial start up cost! We had never had shepherds...we started with nothing for them....our humane society does walk in clinics for shots, heartworm preventive, flea and tick meds, microchips, I would check your local place and see what the prices are. Because they don't charge office visits....our friends said they are much cheaper. I think they had their cat microchipped for $10....ours was not that cheap!!!

#12 ·
A lot. Plus, if you are thinking of getting a dog, make sure you have extra money/a plan incase something major happens.

Berlin had a bloat scare a few weeks ago, I honestly thought he was bloating, he had all the symptoms. I rushed him to the e vet, expecting to walk out paying NO LESS than a grand. He luckily didn't bloat, but I paid $300 for basically a souvenir x-ray and peace of mind :)

#13 ·
I have 5 dogs ....

Food $220 a month

Heartworm testing/medication $460 a year

Flea/ tick $250 a year

Toys $1000 a year(nylaboned are expensive)

Training $400 a year(member at a club reduces costs dramatically)

Misc(collars/treats) $500 a year

Vet care 2013 was about $2500 for all of them and that includes a neuter for one and shots for two. They are all on a three year program, so shots are not due for any of them at one time.

Start up costs for each dog is about 500-750 depending on what is needed.

#17 ·
I would look into pet insurance, there are some older threads worth researching. Injuries and illnesses happen and it's rarely cheap, In 2013, I've shelled out close to $7k on two separate injuries. I've seen threads where others have spent even more.

#18 ·
the big dent in the wallet is definitely start up (especially if its your first dog). buying the pup, multiple vet visits for shots, collar, leash, dog bed, crate, etc. i definitely noticed the chunk of change missing during those first few months. once the dog grows its just buying dog food and insurance. you barely even notice that.

now if you get a crap dog from a byb then the cost increase exponentially. in the long run a 300 pup will end up costing you much more than a 1500 pup. at least that how it was for me.

#19 ·
Oh gosh not sure I want to go there.

One dog-already have crates, leads, supplies

Food-about $60 x 12 = 720
Toys about $50
Training seminars = avg $1000
Gas for SAR training/searches = $1200
Routine Vet avg 1x/year, titers, blood tests = $250
Pet Insurance = $450
Heartworm Preventive - Ivomec - $15
Flea/Tick - Springtime- $30
Things Destroyed - $200

So I guess about $3900-$4000 barring any serious illnesses

#46 ·
Do you have any recommendations for trainers in the Oklahoma area....Northern Oklahoma. Pretty sure I will have to travel. I live in Ponca City...I figured I better get an early start on this....I attended a training session in Wichita a couple years back with my former GSD, we didn't go back...
Surely Oklahoma City or Tulsa holds seminars, etc...A lot of training and seminars will take place at the kennel I bought him from, but I like options....Lol

#21 ·
I paid a lot up front for a pup, $3,000.00 and travel cost as the breeder doesn't ship but in the last three years, he has been an easy keeper. No health problems, moderate eater, not a destroyer. We use a Banfield health plan--runs about $40.00 a month and covers standard care plus discount on other services. We spent a lot on training but that was a personal choice. Now we spend about $750.00 a year on Nosework class and fees. His premium food--picky eater--runs about $150.00 a month which could be a lot less except that he developed a preference for expensive toppers and we are pushovers.

We chose to spend a lot initially in an effort to possibly minimize unexpected expense. My first two pups were rescues and immediately developed G.I. issues costing over $1000.00. At two, one tore her ACL and surgery was another $1500.00. At six years old and seven, her sister blew out both knees--plus had hypothyroidism. She now had the title of most expensive dog.

Until my free pit bull got lymphoma at ten years old.

Get the best pup that you can afford. Make sure the parents have had health checks. I am a big fan of the Banfield wellness plan but my experience seems to be an exception. We've had the same vet for 14 years and she caught my pit's lymphoma in the very earliest of stages. I really like the six month check ups that are included in the plan. When you have a great vet like we do, they really get to know your dog and your lifestyle. For instance, my new pit is a fat thing and I don't get guilted about it. They actually did a thyroid test cause my dogs are generally on the thin side. Turns out that she is just fat--probably because of my foot problems this year and Havoc, my GSD, fondness for expensive wet food.

There are no guarantees. Dogs are expensive but worth it. Beware of bargain pups. I think that on a military salary, it is doable but do your homework.

#23 ·
Mine is also not a "crap dog" but still cost allot. Finding the right food for a gsd was a challenge and very costly.

#24 ·
Vet bills aren't so much a problem for me as I live 5 minutes from an amazing vet who charges about half what most vets do. Only drawback is there are no appointments. Though now they have appointments for shots. Plus I use to work there so I sometimes get discounts. :)

I have a toy buying problem...maybe addiction..lol. I shudder at the thought of how much I have spent in toys.

#26 ·
2 Dogs. One Pomeranian, one GSD.

-Food: 100$ a month. Every two months I pay an extra 30$ for a new bag of food for the little one.

-Treats/Toys: Easily 100$ a month if not more.

-Supplements: 180$ every three months for the NuVet series, 30$ for Denta-Stix, 40$ for Greenies.

-Training: Between 3-500$ a month depending on driving, needs for class, ect.

-Vet: We have been extremely lucky with Finn as we've not had any major medical problems with him. He usually gets a six month check up which runs about 250$. His shot visits come in at 300$ or more depending on if we do the 116$ super Lab fee. His lifetime (so far) vet costs would probably come in just under 8k.

Abi is drastically different. She's the poster child for poor breeding. She has Luxating Patellas, skin problems, teeth problems, and a very poor immune system along with food allergies. We've had her less than a year and we've already hit almost 6k in vet bills. I can't count how many (expensive) bags of food we've gone through trying to sort out food allergies.

Insurance: I love my VPI plan. They have covered nearly 90% of each vet visit. The only things I don't like about VPI is that they auto-snail mail everything. I actually lapsed on Finn's coverage because I got a letter saying the payment didn't come out, then when I called them, they said it was fine after I paid it, then I got a letter saying it was fine 15 days later. Next thing I know, I get a letter saying that my coverage was cancelled, then I get a letter saying it was reinstated. I called to submit a payment and I paid for Finn, yet the next time I submitted a claim, they said I was cancelled. They refunded my payment when I called them and told them the mix-up.

They also require either faxing a handwritten form in or submitting the form by E-mail. If they had an online claim system, it would be so much easier.

Others: The one thing I never took into consideration was pet clean-up and major lawn care. Every 4 months, I call in a carpet cleaner to remove the pet dirt/smell even though I clean every day. That's about 400$. I also needed to have a lawn guy to help with the urine burn and put down stuff to get rid of lawn bugs to include ticks. That's 200$ every visit from Orkin and 250$ every month to the lawn guy.

#28 ·
My answer would be.... More than you think!

I know it had to be well over $3k last year, since food was $900 and training alone was $600. I think I spent about $400 on treats/bones/chews and $180 on collars, harnesses etc. Boarding over Christmas was $260 (she is coming with us next year!). Preventatives were $240. Vet visits...I don't even want to think about it. Now, granted a lot of things were "wants" not "must haves." I spoil my dog. But when you get a dog, you realize it is difficult if not impossible not to spoil them!

#29 ·
Last year I spent over $5,000 on my 5 year old female GSD....Most of it coming from OSU (Oklahoma State University Vet Hospital) ....Ended up being cancer, and had to put her down... That doesn't include all the X-Rays...She had moderate/severe HD and ED....BYB mistake on our part....We trusted someone and it bit us in the ass....But I would do it again if needed

This year (starting in November of last year) Just got our new GSD pup, $1,500 for the pup, $55 per bag of kibble, 100's on toys, $100 for kennel, leashes, harnesses, treats, (I make most of my own treats now using venison), training materials, books, videos, it adds up.....

I would think if you just want a "companion pet" and not have any interest in sports, etc, you could save a little....I'm just a novice, but trying to learn as much as possible....I'm wanting to make my new GSD the most confident, loyal, dog I possibly can....Whether it's search and rescue, SchH, IPO(not much knowledge on this), but I def plan on putting the time in and doing things right to the best of my ability and I fully plan on seeking professional help when the time comes..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.