German Shepherds Forum banner

disgusting litter box

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  lkcheertex 
#1 ·
recently my dog has tried sneaking away into the basement's TIGHT shut closet to eat the litter

she opens the door herself now and stuffs her face

any idea how to stop this? i have to keep my basement door shut now

#3 ·
Ours are under the sewing table in the laundry room, one chair in front of each box and the baby gate is up in the laundry room doorway when ever the dogs are in the house.

#4 ·
We have a room that is blocked off. It's hard to describe the room. I guess it suppose to be a small dining room. It does not have doors and one wall is open to the living room. We put a gate up to where a door would go if it had one and blocked off the entrance to the living room. There is a small opening under my desk the cat uses to access the room. Our smaller dog uses it too, but the GSD and the older dog can' t get in there. The smallest dog only eats the leftover cat food.

The gate we have has a smaller door at the bottom that can be left open for a cat, but my cat doesn't "get it" and the GSD shoves his head through it, so I just keep it closed.

#7 ·
My kitty litters are in the mudroom and the door is always shut to it but my partner cut a cat flap into the door so they come and go as needed. We also have one in an upstairs bathroom because the upstairs is baby-gated-with-cat-hole at all times so the cats can use the upstairs box if they don't want to go downstairs past the dog.

#10 ·
Lol Sookie licks the insides of my crazy-kitten Oliver's ears. He tolerates it for quite awhile then walks away fur rippling. I'm going to try to post a pic of the upstairs set up.
Does it not allow photos uploaded from an ipad? It let's me click to upload but then doesn't actually do it.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
I had bought this gate Top Paw™ Extra-Wide Metal Walk Through Pet Gate for my puppy/cat. My puppy could get through the cat door when I first got him, but he couldn't now. Sadly my cat passed so I no longer use it other than to keep my puppy in the room with me while I am working. I LOVED the gated option so that you weren't constantly having to take down the gate/put up the gate.

#17 ·
I have that gate and my 55 pound Samoyed mix fits through the small opening. Blew my mind when I seen her do it, she does it super fast. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it .

#12 ·
Washing machine Toilet Major appliance Home appliance Litter box

I ordered the Modkat top entry box from fab.com. It's in the mud room, but so are the dogs' food and water bowls, so they have access. But they can't get their faces down into the litter. It works! It also works great at preventing litter scatter, and is super easy to clean. But be warned, the price tag is not for the faint of heart. Yikes!! Fab.com did have it at a pretty serious discount, though, and I don't regret the investment at all.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#18 ·
View attachment 165593

I ordered the Modkat top entry box from fab.com. It's in the mud room, but so are the dogs' food and water bowls, so they have access. But they can't get their faces down into the litter. It works! It also works great at preventing litter scatter, and is super easy to clean. But be warned, the price tag is not for the faint of heart. Yikes!! Fab.com did have it at a pretty serious discount, though, and I don't regret the investment at all.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I had a co-worker once who used a rubbermaid storage tote with a hole cut in the lid like that. Cheap, easy and dog proof.

#13 ·
The only way I stopped it was when I was looking for a house I looked for something that had a small room I could use for just the cats(cat room). I have two litter boxes in the closet which has sliding doors. The dogs never have access to it. I couldn't keep them out of the litter boxes before.

#20 ·
I tried an auto-box, but it was like putting the yummy bits in a perfect container, free from all the crunchy litter bits. I found that using a tall Rubbermaid container keeps the little one out and using the Double Duty litter which has a weird fragrance to it keeps Finn well away from it. The stuff that has no "odor blocking technology" to it doesn't do anything.

#21 ·
We call those kitty biscuits around here. We had to put up a baby gate to keep dogs out of part of bathroom where cats food and litter is. If we leave open for even one second they are in there indulging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.