German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Curious, how old was your GSD when he/she started showing protectiveness/alertness?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
kristinloveschief

Default Curious, how old was your GSD when he/she started showing protectiveness/alertness?

Chief is now 5 months old, his land shark phase is finally coming to a close whoo hoo! Lately though I've been noticing he's starting to become protective and dry alert which surprised me because I usually thought this comes around a year or age or older. We live in a neighborhood but have a huge empty field behind our house that several kids play in after school. The other day Chief and my husband were in our yard and the kids all of the sudden started screaming and running towards our house. My husband said Cheifs fur stood up, he did this real slow alert trot to the edge of our yard while growling low and then barked several times deep but not too loud. Then a few days ago these two random teenagers dressed in camo came sprinting out of the woods full speed into the field and Chief went crazy barking and growling low. He's also now going to the door and dining room window barking and low growling when he hears nosies. Just wondering when your dog showed this behavior?