German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - My Dog Park Experience
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
ZoeandMoe

Default My Dog Park Experience

I have read a lot of stories on this board about people not advising or even going to a dog park for a number of reasons. Just wanted to share my experience yesterday. I took Moe. to a local park with the hopes of introducing him to other dogs/pups. Moe. is 15 months old. When arriving, He was barking playfully at the other dogs but I wanted to take him to the section "under 20lb" dogs because no one was in there. We weren't in there 2 minutes when a woman came over to me and said what a beautiful GSD, can I bring my Shepherd over to that side? Her's was about a month older and running around with the bigger dogs. I said, sure, why not. Moe. and her dog began playing together for a minute, then her's began chasing Moe. Every time she caught him, she would knock him down. Playfully, not aggressively. this went on for about ten minutes until one time her dog knocked Moe. down and they began barking/snarling at each other. I quickly separated Moe. and thought, OK, time to leave. The woman said to me, Oh, it's OK, they will be fine. I let Moe. go after making him calm down and he stayed at my feet until her dog came running and plowing him over again. This time it was a full on puppy fight. I broke it up immediately, put on Moe's. leash and began to leave. She said to me like nothing had happened, "Nice meeting you, see you next time". I thought to myself, No you won't. Maybe I was over reacting but I wanted him to socialize, Not learn how to fight or defend himself.
ZoeandMoe is offline   Reply With Quote