German Shepherds Forum banner

Potty training Issues

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  AryaStark 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a 11 week old GSD puppy obviously and i have had him for a few months and as soon as i got him from the breeder I started with crate training. He does well with this. He sleeps at night in there and when i can't watch him i put him in there. Well during the crate training i started the house breaking process as well. Watching him all the time and taking him out like 20 mins after meals and after he wakes up and after i take him out of the crate. He lets me know when he needs to go #2 but he still urinates in the house. He holds it in is crate which i know dogs don't like to soil where they sleep. Its like if he gets the urge to urinate even if its a little he will just go regardless of where i am or where he is. I have tried praises when bringing him outside to urinate and treats but he can't seem to grasp it. Is there any tips you guys and give me or another routine to try or maybe a link? I'm really at a loss here and can't seem to get him to understand that i don't want him to urinate in the house. I heard don't rub their noses in it because it doesn't work. I would really appreciate it guys.

#2 ·
I didn't have an issue with Zoe--I really lucked out, she got the hang of puppy pads the day I brought her home which surprised me. However, my older dog Esme was a total pain to housebreak. It took her almost a year for her to fully grasp the concept, heh.

One of the things I did was to get a spray from the pet store that's designed to give your pup the urge to pee outside. You spray it on a tree or grass, place your puppy next to the area you sprayed, and the idea is that'll help them go to the bathroom. I think I used Nature's Miracles "Go Here" brand, IIRC.

I also noticed with housebreaking Zoe that she prefers going to the bathroom on grassy areas. So maybe pick an area with a lot of greenery and see if that helps?

Good luck!

#3 ·
Oh, and I also forgot to add that once your boy has all his shots and can go for walks, I know both Esme and Zoe got housebroken faster when they walked with older dogs who would show them the ropes, as it were. Maybe you can walk him with a relative or friend's dog?

Esme followed my Aunt's two dogs lead when she was a puppy and Zoe follows Esme's lead now and maybe it's just a coincidence, but after a few walks with other dogs they got the hang of going outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.