German Shepherds Forum banner

He likes to use his paws...

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Buckelke 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if this is a breed thing, or if its a behavior I can alter...
My pup is a year old, and he uses his paws a bit too much. Those suckers are big and can hurt if you're not careful. When we tug, he cheats and uses his paws to try to win. If I lay down on the floor, he will lay next to me but tries to put his paws on me and they're heavy! A couple times they've landed on my face.
I'm pregnant and I'm worried about him trying to put those suckers on the baby.

Can I get him to knock this off? Teach him that it hurts?
It's like he doesn't realize he is big and can hurt me....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
1 >>> usuing his paws is a sign of intelligence.

2 >>> learn dog behaviour. he's not cheating.

3 >>> your pregnant. protect yourself. don't
do things that encourages your dog to put
his paws on you.

4 >>> protect your baby. if your dog puts
his paws on your baby it's your fault.
watch the dog and the baby closely.
never leave them alone.

I'm not sure if this is a breed thing, or if its a behavior I can alter...

1 >>>> My pup is a year old, and he uses his paws a bit too much. Those suckers are big and can hurt if you're not careful.

2 >>>> When we tug, he cheats and uses his paws to try to win.

3 >>>> If I lay down on the floor, he will lay next to me but tries to put his paws on me and they're heavy! A couple times they've landed on my face.

4 >>>>I'm pregnant and I'm worried about him trying to put those suckers on the baby.

#3 ·
You're right, he's not cheating because he is a dog. I worded it that way so that people could picture what the heck I am talking about.

You didn't give me any training advice to counteract this behavior. You just made me feel like a **** moron....

But I would kind of like to hang out with my dog....not throw him away because I'm bringing a child into my home, like so many people do. I would like to correct this BEFORE the baby is here, hence why I am asking while pregnant.

So some actual advice would be really nice!!!

#6 ·
Yes, you can teach him not to do this! I'd start with not allowing his feet on you at all, if he puts them on you, all fun and games stop immediately. Then add some kind of rewards for when he doesn't put his feet on you at times when he normally might.

Check on google for methods of teaching body (especially foot) awareness for dogs (often used for agility). The more aware of his feet he is, the less likely he is to be putting them where they shouldn't be. Most places seem to focus on rear foot awareness (like Full-Body Awareness in Agility), but this can also apply to front feet and help you work with him so he isn't slapping his big paws all over you.

Also important is working with your dog now on control and calmness so that when you do introduce the baby (ALWAYS ALWAYS SUPERVISED) your dog won't get hyped up over the strange squeaky thing that has suddenly invaded his home. If you have a chance to meet up with other parents that have young babies so he is exposed to them, that might be helpful as well.

Here are a couple links that may give you more information:
Baby Safety Around Dogs | Prepare the family dog for life with a baby

Dogs and Babies | Learning to Live Happily Ever After (I love this one, it has a ton of info)

By the way, you may get advice on here that is very blunt, to the point of seeming rude, but there are a ton of really knowledgeable people who you can really learn some neat stuff from. Let answers you don't care for roll off your back, and take away the things you can use, and you'll probably find this forum is one of the most awesome places around.

#9 ·
Our two/one year old pups are very energetic, they do good with toddlers and other ages....our friend had a baby...they had never been around newborns. We started teaching " gentle" command....when they were really excited we would say no, gentle, and slowly do what we asked....we started with treats, if they kept going for them at the normal pace and speed....we would say no, step back, say "gentle" and do it again. They figured it out after a few times...after they mastered being extremely gentle with the treat we moved to things they would get crazy excited about to the point of obnoxious....chuck it balls, soccer balls, frisbee, tug rope......a few times with each thing....they nailed the "gentle" command....the newborn coming in for the first time, we had them on leashes....put the seat on the coffee table and said "gentle"....Millie just watches the baby from a short distance. Miles never leaves her side when she is here....as far as the jumping.....that seems to be a common thing for excited dogs, even small ones....we taught the "off" command, "hug" trick, and "kiss" trick....our girls like them to jump up and hug and kiss them! I DONT like it!!! So to reach a happy medium and the dogs understand who allows it and who doesn't....we started training....when they would jump on me. I would say off, and sitz. I would not pet or show attention until they were sitting and calm. They mastered it...and only jump on me when I ask for a hug! I hate being licked, so they no longer lunge lick me or everyone they are around. They will now only lick when someone says "kiss"....we taught that like you would teach shake, or any other command....when she was licking we would say good kiss and eventually say "kiss" and put out face to hers...after a few times she nailed it. With "hug" we had them sitz, then tap our chest and say hug....a few times, they mastered it. Now when we come home. The people that don't want to be mauled with dog kisses and hugs are left alone...the ones that love it are mauled until the girls tell them to stop.....shepherds are so smart! They know much more than we give them credit for. From our time with them and newborn visits....they seem to just know the baby is much more delicate....miles who normally can bust through a wall with his in door clumsy shepherd strength....never misses a step when the baby is around and he does things to make a point to me more careful. For instance....we never taught him to crawl, but when the baby is on the bed....he jumps on at the other end...and crawls, inches toward her...it is amazing to watch. We never leave them alone together, but as a very cautious person that is just me....I don't think he would hurt her on purpose, but I would never want to test that theory. I even practice that with our foster cat...he is never alone with kids. I just feel all animals have a wild instinct and just feel better always watching any situation including animals.
Congrats on the baby! We are new to the forum....lots of great advice and ideas..But I tend to do better with straight forward and to the point advice and opinions...I have noticed if I don't get the advice or the answer I am looking for, asking it with a little different wording...gets me many different ideas. I ask like I do with my girls. If they don't give the answer or solution I am looking for, reword it to see if they understand what I am asking...and make sure we are on the same page. Sometimes it's more about people not understanding exactly what I was asking. :)

#11 ·
My pup "paws" for attention but usually only when I'm eye-level, sitting on the floor

We just use "off" as the command for not putting paws up - on us or anything. Through consistency it works. If he paws, I say "off" and if he doesn't listen, I ignore him or remove his paw, get up, and walk away. When he obeys, I praise and reward him with the attention he wants.

Using this command, he's actually stopped a lot of unwanted behaviors (putting his paws up on the couch, stepping one paw onto the center console of the car from the backseat, etc.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.