German Shepherds Forum banner

Super aggressive behavior

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  wolfy dog 
#1 ·
I have a beautiful 8 month old dog he is half german Shepard and half husky and he is extremely aggressive!! I have to lock him up in the back yard whenever i have a friend visit me. My family is scared of him and I'm scared to even keep trying to introduce him to the family. I wanted t send him to school but it is too expensive for me rite now. At home with me and my parents and brother my dog is very lovable he doesn't bite even when we play he is never too rough on us. Any tips please?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
Breed has nothing to do with aggression. You need to have an experienced trainer evaluate your dog and lay out a training plan.

David Winners

#4 · (Edited)
That right there is dead on. If you give a hint as to your location, somebody can probably direct you to a trainer or maybe even a behaviorist in the area that can help you get this under control. It sounds like maybe your dog just hasn't had the social experience to know how to behave, and unfortunately, over the internet we can't tell if this is a huge issue, or a matter of just some basic manners training.

#5 ·
You don't need to send him away for training. Find a good, experienced trainer and take classes with them so you can learn along with your dog. Taking classes is less expensive than a board and train situation.

And I agree wholeheartedly! Having Husky blood or being a mixed breed in general has nothing to do with his behavior.
Sheilah

#6 ·
Agree also with a trainer/behaviorist. I will go further and say private classes, especially with behavioral issues. While your pup is being trained, you will be trained as well. Since this is a family pet, all should participate, so the handling of this pup is consistent - no confusion for him or you/family. The big plus for you, is you will gain confidence in yourself to handle him.

While you are doing the research for the trainer; a few things to keep in mind. You stated you and your family are scared of him and/or scared when handling him around family. Your dog is picking up on that and this can cause him to act out more. As tough as it may be, stay calm when handling him.

When you are out and have him on leash and he acts out. Your first instinct is to pull him back, don't pull backwards. He will automatically pull/lunge forwards even harder. Instead, step to the side and turn, walk him away.

Post where you are located, someone may be able to give a good recommendation for a trainer in your area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.