German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Someone has switched my dog -- HELP!
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 03:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
utsavized

Default Someone has switched my dog -- HELP!

My working line GSD was an angel for 7.5 months of his life. He is properly potty trained. He had his landshark stage but the worst he did was scuffed up some shoes. He was always crated when we left him alone in the house, but was allowed to roam free when we were home. He slept in the living room (sometimes bedroom) all night outside the crate without any issues. He is generally friendly with other dogs except some that he does not get along with, but I guess that is normal. He loves all humans! He used to pull before but we started using a no-pull harness and that issue was quickly resolved. He gets about 30 mins of exercise (fetch -- and he vigorously runs to retrieve the balls) every day and additional 1-2 mile walks on weekends. He knows all the basic commands (sit, come, stay, drop, leave it, down, look at me, no pulling). He finished his puppy elementary and will be starting obedience II next week. We were extremely happy and satisfied with Titan.

Last week however, we woke up to a completely different dog. He is now biting (esp. my girlfriend) when he wants something. It is not aggressive, but it hurts. He runs around the apartment like a maniac knocking things over and sometimes even banding into things hurting himself. He will steal things and run away with them. He constantly counter-surfs. He will turn anything he gets his paws on into shreds. He does not follow ANY command unless we have a delicious treat on our hands. He not only puts his paws on people trying to lick their faces but jumps 5-10 inches in the air to try to do so. On a few occasions, he has managed to grab my girlfriend's hair mid-air and almost drag her down to the down when he landed back on the floor. He will bark, run, bite and just get absolutely rowdy when he is hungry or wants to go out. He used to slightly whine at the door before. He gets into a fight (aggressively) with every other dogs he sees (even the ones he used to get along with before). He is guarding his toys and his bones constantly. He barks at the door insanely even if a leaf moves outside.

It seems like we slept one day and woke up the other day having completely lost all control of our dog. Is this normal? Or has our dog been switched??? (JK). I was hoping some experienced owners could give insight on this, and how to go about getting this rambunctious, rowdy and rebellious 8-month-old back on track.

Few things that he has always had issues with:

1. Gets too excited too fast!
2. There is a park east of us. If we walk him in any other direction, he is great. But if he senses that it's towards the park, then he will pull so hard and starts crying/jumping (possibly in excitement), it is impossible to control him. All we can really do is run with him (full speed).
3. He does not want anyone to leave, and goes mental (cries like if he is dying) when anyone leaves. Weirdly it is not just my girlfriend and I. Even if we meet a complete stranger for 5 minutes and all of us go on a walk, and say the person enters a coffee shop while we wait outside, he will go mad crying, jumping, pulling -- it is embarrassing. Even stranger is that he is never been left alone for more than a few hours. He has always been either with me, or my girlfriend since we got him at 8 weeks old, so does not seem like it is separation anxiety (that too, with a stranger?). Also, when he do leave him in his crate, he cries for a few minutes, and then goes off to sleep.

I apologize for the long post. But we are getting slightly frustrated at this point that he has so suddenly gotten out of control. Any help, suggestions and advice would be great!!!

Thank you!

Here is a picture of Titan.
**** Image removed by ADMIN, max size allowed 800 X 600 ****

Last edited by Castlemaid; 01-10-2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: 1900 X 2851 oversized pic removed
utsavized is online now   Reply With Quote