German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Wanted opinion on my story
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Default Wanted opinion on my story

I've frequented this website in the past for information about my puppy in the past, however, today is my first post after a incident with leaving my dog in the car. I typically think things through when it comes to my dog, and I thought I had this time as well, but I wanted some objective opinions from other GSD owners in the case that I am in the wrong. Also maybe it'll act as a warning for others.

I was at the supermarket and I had left my dog alone in the car. The current weather outside feels like -30c(-22F) without windshield -20c(-4F). I had left her in the car for around an hour and a half when I came back to check on her. Coming back to my car I found two people asking me if it was my dog in the car. After which they told me things like I didn't deserve my car and that I was cruel for putting my dog through this. I tried telling them that she does well in the cold, but they didn't listen and drove off.

Getting in the car I noticed that Sophie's leash was off. I had not left it that way when I had left as I keep it on. I do this because there's a much higher risk that she'll jump out when i open the door rather than her choking on something the in the car. I am pretty sure that the people somehow opened my car and also went through my stuff (perhaps to get my name and address). How they managed this I don't know even though I am certain that the doors were locked. After 15 minutes the police showed up. I explained the situation to them; they seemed satisfied and left shortly.

Sophie is a long haired GSD, and from past experiences I would say that she loves the snow and the cold. I have to make sure that she is near something cool (e.g. slightly open window) otherwise she starts panting and looks uncomfortable. When my power went for a few days and the temperature in my house reached -15c and lower she was fine for the night. As a side note I can't leave her alone for more than 15 minutes in summer (this is an assumption as the most I've left her outside in summer is 10 minutes).

Anyways I was wondering what people thought about my situation. Moreover, I hope that this is a cautionary about people with more heart than sense.

Left dog that does ok in cold weather in my car. People entered my car and called cops.
ILoveApples is offline   Reply With Quote