German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Handling A Dog Who Does Not Like to Be Touched!
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Handling A Dog Who Does Not Like to Be Touched!

I bought a GSD about three years ago from a good breeder who breeds nice German show lines. My idea was to show her in conformation but as soon as we got her, I realized that she is definitely a classic "aloof with strangers" type. I spent hours and hours out socializing her but she still barks (hair up) when she walks by other dogs and often her hair goes up a little when she meet people although its not aggression but I believe its more of a fear.
With the dogs I can understand her being upset because I have come across too many people who just let their dogs walk right up to mine and bark wildly in their faces - some not even on leashes. I never let my dogs greet other dogs in such a fashion but I cannot stop others from coming up to me with their dogs and it creates quite a chaotic experience. I am thinking of enrolling her in a local class that works specifically on dog to dog interactions.
As for the people, I don't know why she still responds like this as we have worked on her forever in this area. Anyway, I was wondering if any show people could put their two cents in on whether or not a dog like this should be shown in conformation or should I look for another area that I can work with her in? I'm guessing that not all GSDs in the show ring are outgoing so what do you do with a dog who is most certainly not outgoing? I've got a friend who has had a similar story although she is working with a Belgian Shepherd. Anyway, last show her dog whirled around when the judge touched her in the back and they had to leave the ring. I don't want this experience and was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts? I'm not new to owning dogs but I am new to the breed and showing. Signing another one of my dogs up for our first conformation class this week actually!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome