German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Just the cold? Weird behavior outside.
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
evybear15
Knighted Member

Default Just the cold? Weird behavior outside.

This one has me stumped. Baxter loves playing out in the snow, and would do so for hours if I stayed out throwing his wubba. Obviously, we don't stay out THAT long, because I start to freeze...

We're getting some crazy cold weather here in Ohio, like much of the rest of the country. Temps have been 0 to -10, but the "feels like" temp keeps hovering around -25. Baxter hasn't experienced cold like this before, and we've only been going outside long enough for him to pee/poo. That said, he only seems to be able to do one. After that, his back legs almost seem to get incredibly stiff, and he just curls up and lays down on the ground. He's completely fine once we're back in the house.

Do you think this is JUST the cold weather, and maybe his paws are just too cold? Or something more concerning? I'm only out with him for maybe 5 minutes before he starts doing this, probably much less than that - it just FEELS like forever given the current weather.

Temps will start to go back up in a few days, so I'm sure I'll be able to tell then, but I worry about my boy, so I thought I'd check in with all of you before getting him checked by a vet. If he were doing it more often, or not recovering and bouncing back to his normal self once inside, we'd have already been over to see the vet.

Baxter - aka "Basher" GSD 9/27/10
Boomer & Star - Kittens of Doom
evybear15 is offline   Reply With Quote