German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Puppy is not very friendly to strangers
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
arroyotello503

Default Puppy is not very friendly to strangers

I have a 5 month old male Shepherd and I am concerned for he is beginning to develop signs of aggression,I think. He does not do to well when it comes to meeting strangers. When we go on walks he barks at EVERYBODY he sees. There has even been some growling involved. The problem gets worse when he is at home. Whenever anybody comes over, he quickly reacts by barking and growling especially to children. There is no small children at home so he does not have much socialization with them. I know that this breed is known to be extremely protective and I don't mind that, but I am concerned that this will lead to bigger issues later on. I don't know how to handle the situation this is my first time owning the breed. He does well with other dogs. I have take him to puppy socialization classes and he does fairly well with dogs and people there and at parks. I take him everywhere I can and the problem mainly seems to be at home.
He has Always been a very shy and timid puppy I got him at 8 weeks. Could it just be a fear phase he is going through or is he developing signs of aggression?
arroyotello503 is offline   Reply With Quote