German Shepherds Forum banner

Is our puppy fat?

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Harry and Lola 
#1 ·
Our pup is 10 weeks old today. He currently weighs 22 pounds, but he seems a lot larger than our other boy when he was 10 weeks.

Is our pup just big, or is he overweight?

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
You cannot rely on the amounts stated on the bag. It depends on the dog and the activity levels and the brand of food. You need more cups of crappy food than from the higher ends. Over eating is easier from kibble than with raw as the chewing of the raw is more satisfying for them. And also vets' opinions differ a great deal. At the shows they seem to favor a heavier dog than in the working dog world.

#14 ·
I'd have to put my hands on him to say whether I think he's fat but....pups can be all over the place at this age. My friend's puppy was over 20lbs at 9 weeks already. He's a fairly tall GSD and now about 85lbs. Contrast that to one of my puppies who was under 10lbs at 8 weeks and is now about 80s, correct size and weight for a mature male. Another friend has a puppy that looked like a bear at 8 weeks but now I think he's in the 70s (if that) and he's going on 3.

#15 ·
Looking at him from above, he has a little bit of a waist. At 22pounds he is definitely at the high end of average weights for 10 weeks, which is fine. Just keep an eye on him, always make sure he has a waist and you can feel his ribs through a nice layer of fat. It is important to grow your pup slowly as excessive growth and weight can lead to joint issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.