German Shepherds Forum banner

Is this STUPID!?

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Loneforce 
#1 ·
Okay I'm being a little insecure. I've been saying for years I want to name our next shepherd after one of my favorite anime character: Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV

Edward - Cowboy Bebop Wiki

Now there are some links for those unfamiliar with Cowboy Bebop :3

Anyway, is it stupid to give a girl a boy's name. Edward is a girl in the anime, but I find it amusing. Of course, I have told my fiance if she doesn't seem like an ed (crazy spastic silly and very smart) then we won't name her ed <3

But of course on her papers if she is an ed, she will have the full name <3

#2 ·
I don't see anything wrong with it, if that is what you want to name her. However, your going to have to explain this over and over and over for the next 10-15 years.

I've had an odd dog name that I came up with in my early 20's, trust me when I say explaining it gets old. She happened to answer to about 10 different things so I could wing it but still got old.

#4 ·
I have to always explain/spell my dogs' names. If you don't mind doing it over and over, then go for it if you love it! If not, go with something that's easy ;) ... considering my pets are Rai Li (pronounced Riley), Varik (pronounced like Erik with a "V" on the front) and Sienna (almost normal!)...yeah .. I'm used to it.

#5 ·
Oh, I don't mind explaining it. I don't know how many times I had to explain Chari. So many people would try and call her Charlie or Sharee..x.x

Also so many thought she was a boy, so I just can't wait to use the Radical Edward line "Ed's not a boy, Ed's a girl!" XD

I was feeling better about it the more I actually thought it through and the kennel name for her will be awesome:

Blackthorn's Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV (Ed made it up you know <3)

Hehehe!

#6 ·
Okay I'm being a little insecure.
Anyway, is it stupid to give a girl a boy's name. <3

A boy's name according to what? The Naming God? THe Golden Name Guide? I've worked for Social Security for odd years now and I can assure you, few-if anyone-seems to worry about names anymore. Name her what you like.

Jelpy

#8 ·
I don't think it's stupid at all. I think creative names are the best. Our dogs' names are Callisto and Io, after two of Jupiter's 4 most visible moons. We plan on getting a female in about a year and naming her Ganymede. I'm a huge science nerd, obviously ;P

#16 ·
I dont know why I found the Spartacus thing so funny :blush:

I call my dog by her nickname so much I accidentally do it in public. I'll go outside and yell "PIGGGYYYYYYYYYY" and a fluffy long coat gsd will bound towards me, or I'll say "good piggy, good girl" and nearby people are always giving me wonky looks for it. I think Edward is fine for a girl, if you like it you like it :)

#10 ·
Hmm, I've had several pets that had names that didn't quite go with their gender... a female guinea pig named Fred, a female kitten named Norman, a male cat named Lassie, to name a few. I've also had a parakeet named Teekarap, a bird named Cujo, a dog named Kitten... yeah, I like using different names.

#11 ·
I named my GSD Mr. Eko after the character on Lost, people always question it and look at me funny lol. I have always named my pets off the wall names. I named my cat Johnnycakes when we thought he was a girl (he was a very fluffy kitten and my first cat had no clue how to tell gender) until one day I noticed his testicles.........

I named my APBT Xena, after the warrior princess, lol, and my golden who passed away was named Shiva after the character in the Final Fantasy series.

#12 ·
My dog is named "Beschützer des Jägers v. Sportwaffen", which means "Guardian of Hunter from Sportweapon kennels". Jäger for short. Ask me how tired I am of explaining my dog isn't named after a liquor or shot. You'll get much more PIA for naming a female "Edward". It will wear on you

#13 ·
Just my experience: I love the name Zeus, i planned to name my GSD Zeus, talked with family members, they were against it ( why?? ) but named him Zeus when i got him. But i changed the name from Zeus to Tyson within a week, reason?? because all the people here asked me " what kind of name is Juice?", i explained, it's Zeus, not juice, the god of....well, after a week i was too frustrated to explain it to everybody..so i changed the name to Tyson.
Well, that was my experience, i still call him Zeus sometime, it's like his nickname. I call him Tyson Boy, zeus, Junge(A nepali word, that means not taking no for an answer)....my point is, you can have one name, suitable name for which you will not need to explain and still call him with other name as well.

#15 ·
My two GSDs have call names that have nothing to do with their registered name. Register however you want and call her whatever you want (though there are character limits for registered names).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.