German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Is there an average crate training time?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
MrsFergione

Default Is there an average crate training time?

Our 9 week old male came home 2 days ago. He was with 2 sisters as the breeders still, one left the night before we picked him up, and one the same morning, so he's never been alone before. He's not ALONE, we have a female 8 month old shepherd, but crate wise. How many days/weeks is typically average for them to not cry all night in the crate? Our female was older (14 weeks) when we brought her home so she only cried 2 nights and it wasn't the entire night. Our two smaller dogs were different, they were bottle fed by us from 7 days old and were in the bathroom and then transitioned to the crate sometime after they were a month old. They also cried for 2 or 3 nights, but they also had each other so it wasn't all night long.

Anyway, both nights he has cried the ENTIRE night. I'm not complaining, I know this comes along with getting a new puppy, but I was just wondering if it's going to abruptly stop or if he will cry less and less. The other dogs just suddenly didn't care anymore after a few days. But they also didn't cry the entire night, just a few hours. I let him outside to go bathroom, the first night he did not the first time, and did the second time. Last night he went both times. That only seemed to help for maybe 30 minutes, so I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to make it easier for him since it's not solely needing to potty. I've also only had females so maybe males are just different