German Shepherds Forum banner

52 weeks trick challenge!

4K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  GatorDog 
#1 ·
I am part of another group where we are participating in a year long trick challenge. A new trick is assigned and we have 2 weeks to train the behaviors! I am trying to teach each trick using shaping methods. Figured I would put it out there and keep people updated if they wanted to try it out themselves :)

Challenge #1; Play dead!

This is highlights of Carma's first session. She was raised with shaping behaviors, so she offered quite a few hilarious behaviors before settling on this one.

Feel free to join in!

#7 · (Edited)
Awesome! Are you giving her a cue to prompt the motion? I could not hear or see anything other than you looking at her. I know you would not typically pair the word until later but just checking. I have use clicker training in the past but it has been many years and going to try and add it in to our routine with Silas so going to start brushing up on it again.
Carma is such a beautiful GSD!

#9 ·
Thanks! By shaping the exercise, I am not saying or cueing for any behaviors. I am just waiting for her to offer little tiny pieces of the trick and clicking to mark those behaviors. Then I start asking for more and more behaviors each time. So it started just laying down, then leaning on one hip, then turning her hed to the side and then leaning onto her side. Eventually I'd like to get her on her back with legs in the air, lol.

#14 ·
I am so in! :D I was looking for something to do with Ollie since we are on a forced break from sports for a few months. He will do anything for raw beef and his tug so this will be fun, we'll start working on this tonight!

#18 ·
Got a quick video, sorry the lightings so bad! I will try to get a better one when we're further along, he learned this much in about 15 minutes... He's got the idea just need to make it quicker!

#19 ·
#20 ·
I love the idea! We had already taught Drago to roll over, so our challenge so far has been getting him to stop half way through his roll :D

Things normally do not go this well though! This was about ten minutes in to teaching the new command. It is also our first time stringing together a few commands into one cohesive trick.

We just have to keep at it, clean up into a smoother motion and I am more than pleased :)

#27 ·
I am also doing the 52 week trick challenge. I taught this trick in about 3 five - ten min sessions, I believe Alexis was about the same. High drive/ energy dogs with a solid free shaping foundation LOVE clicker games. It's mentally exercise for them. I find the more they do, the quicker they pick new things up because they quickly learn to offer behavior and expand on it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.