German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Dealing with my grief
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
jmgrneyz

Default Dealing with my grief

Hello!
Today is 1week since my 9 year old shepherd passed away. On May 13th he had surgery to remove a rupturing spleen, a sudden & shocking event. He was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma, & the prognosis was very poor, I was told 3-6 weeks. As you know this cancer is very aggressive & treatment options are few. Given the cost & potential quality of life issues involved with intravenous chemotherapy I went with an oral form along with some alternative medications. Rosco needed biweekly blood work.
We had a good run, 7.5 months, before he suffered collapse. No amount of acceptance and knowledge could prepare anyone for the end.
Rosco was not a pure shepherd, however several veterinarians told me he was likely at least 80% GSD, 20% chow. He was the kindest, gentlest, most intelligent dog I ever had the privilege to love. In spite of the fact that GSD are slightly more prone to what Rosco passed away from I honestly can't imagine having anything but a GSD. I am wetting my toes with information on getting another in late spring 2014.
Attached Thumbnails
Dealing with my grief-image.jpg  
jmgrneyz is offline   Reply With Quote