German Shepherds Forum banner

New to this

877 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  David Winners 
#1 ·
Think about getting a gsd. The pups r 6 weeks now and from what ive read i think we r leanin toward a female. Crate ??? Do u leave a chew toy in the crate with the dog all the time. And is the crate just for sleepin at night and while we r away. Im not getting the whole crate thing completely.

#2 ·
The puppy should be crated when you are unable to keep an eye on her - at night, when you leave, etc. this protects the puppy and your house, and helps with potty training. The crate should be limited to allow them space to lay and turn around comfortably, but not enough space to potty in one corner and sleep in the other. A puppy will naturally not want to sleep where it pottys.
Puppies need potty breaks very frequently, please plan on getting up multiple times during the night to take them outside for potty, and do not leave the puppy crated for very long.

Please do lots of research before getting this puppy. GSD puppies can be notoriously hard to raise and require a LOT of time and effort.

Who is the breeder?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
Okay, if you get a puppy you should crate train it. Yes, only have the pup in the crate when you are not home or its night time, and maybe when you are eating. If you want to put a toy in the crate make sure the puppy cant swallow/choke on it while you are not watching it.

#4 · (Edited)
When I first joined this forum, almost everyone said to crate train. Even though it wasnt needed since he was potty trained in 3 days.
One of the best decisions I made. Stopped him from eating rocks, tearing up my plants and backyard while I wasnt home. It also allowed me to keep him confined inside until he was old enough to be trusted out at night on his own. At the vet hes less stressed than the other dogs that are not used to being crated. I can crate him when I need to wash my floors and let them dry. Theres just soo many reasons why crate training is good besides helping with potty training. Im so glad I did it. Nylabones the large size are great to chew on when no ones around because they dont come apart. also Kongs. I tried bully sticks but my dogs a chewer and he ate the big ones in 20 to 30 minutes.

#6 ·
Crate training is the best concept on the planet. The previous replies are spot on. We have had a pup for 3 days, no potty in the crate yet, last night he cried for a few minutes then let us sleep all night.

Just remember, the crate is a good place not a bad place. Never use it for discipline. Ours has a couple stuffed animals and his bedding. I throw my house clothes over it so he can smell me. Not sure if that helps but its a good place to keep them anyway.

So far we have put him in there during the day when we shower and can't keep an eye on him. We will put him in there when we mop. We haven't really left him yet but that is coming next week. My wife will put him in there when she goes to the grocery or runs to town.

#7 ·
I would suggest you read through all the stickies in the puppy section. Loads of good information there to help with the generic puppy raising troubles and questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.