German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New parent of a GSD mix
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Karpaasi

Default New parent of a GSD mix

It's been almost a month since I rescued Greta from the local animal shelter. She's a super sweet GSD/Husky/Lab mix. Her previous family surrendered her due to an extended leave situation.

This site was indispensable in my quest to learn more about German Shepherds before and after I adopted Greta. For that I am extremely grateful.

Greta seems to display physical and behavioral traits of all three breeds. She definitely has the alertness, nosiness and intelligence of a GSD. She loves exercise, people and affection. Her athleticism is remarkable.

Over the past month we've gotten into a good routine. She's crated during the day, but we go on long, brisk walks twice a day and even longer walks on the weekend. Plus, when I'm home she gets my full attention, and I take her with me whenever possible. We live by NILIF, and she's good with basic commands, though she still needs more training.

She's not perfect. She does have a high prey drive. It's manageable when she's on a leash, but there are times when she gets extremely focused on a deer, cat, etc. On one hand I admire her animal instinct, but she's never rewarded for this behavior.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and Greta and say thanks for all the great advice on this site. I'm looking forward to several great years ahead with Greta (she's 2.5 years old).

Rob
Central NC
Attached Thumbnails
New parent of a GSD mix-screen-shot-2013-12-10-8.52.45-pm.jpg  
Karpaasi is offline   Reply With Quote