German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New 3 Year Old Wont Stop Whining And Pacing
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
brembo
Elite Member

Back off some, give him some space and time to adjust. I've had the best luck with just being there and talking, in a normal non-excited voice. Every so often call Bruce over, reward with a good rub, smack on the butt(playful) and "good boy" and then return to whatever you were doing before.

Be calm and relaxed, they read us like a cheap book. That is quickly and without much effort. So if you are calm and laid back chances are the dog will soon figure out that there isn't much to worry about.

Don't create situations wherein you inadvertently cut Logan's legs out from under him, jealousy is a hard one to fix with dogs. I deal with it with a 3 y/o and a 11 month old right now. Both are bonded to me so tightly it's almost comical, I do not even want to think about dealing with it with a new, stressed and non-bonded animal.

If it is possible, a place for Bruce to go and be alone and safe would do wonders for his stress levels. A crate or a room where he can come and go as he pleases without distraction or interaction will give him a pressure release. Be creative with ways to de-stress his first few weeks at his new home.