German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Big Question- How Do You Become A Breeder?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
GSDLover2000
Banned

Default Big Question- How Do You Become A Breeder?

I want to do a lot!! I have so many interests... it actually bugs me because I can't grow up and be them all. I love acting, home design, gardening, animals, writing, art, and a few more I can't remember. I keep thinking over and over again at night what I want to be when I grow up, and I think I have finally narrowed it down. I would not be in it for the money, or the business, I would be in it for my deep love for animals. I want to become a veterinarian! I have always been hesitant about it because I don't think I could handle putting an animal down, I would probably have a mental break down after doing it for the 2nd or 3rd time. Maybe even the first! But I think it would just be so fulfilling. Well, the true point of this is on the side I would want to be a dog breeder. Not some backyard breeder who sells the pups high priced, and breeds females 3 times a year, but a legit one. I would LOVE to purchase a 10 acre lot somewhere in Washington state or central/southern california, and build from the ground up a breeding "business". Now this will NEVER happen until I am much much much older, but I would like to get an idea of what it takes to become a breeder. I know you should know a lot about the genetics and health of the certain breed, I read somewhere you should be familiar with veterinary practice to some degree, and of course, love animals!! Other than that I don't really know how I would go about starting one. I would love to know step by step detail. Where do the dogs come from? How do you accumulate more to breed. Expenses. Rights. Permission. AKC registration, ETC. Thanks!!

Noah
GSDLover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote