German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New member of the family - help!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
zweed4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Yikes.

Well, They have had the dog for 5 months? The boy is seven months old and you are afraid of him? And you were afraid of him a month ago at under six months old? Well, I can't assess the puppy, no one can without actually seeing him, but dogs are really good at recognizing our negative emotions. He may read your apprehension as something to be afraid of. The barking and growling is most likely a fear reaction to you. He is even more uncomfortable because you are uncomfortable. You and he both need to build your confidence.

And being gone back to school for the next several months means you will come back to a GSD that is even bigger and more formidable, and in its full-blown teenager stage. He may be more mature, and if your parents take an active role in training and getting him more acclimated to people during those months it may not be so bad.

I am not sure what you are wanting to hear, though. After you come home on break, I think that it would be helpful for you to take an active part in training and exercising the pup.
That is correct. They've had him for almost 5 months now. I'm not so much afraid as uncomfortable. He's pretty decent sized; 64 pounds. I'm mostly distraught that things sway back and forth. One minute we seem to be able to hangout and the next he is growling and charging at me. This is all when I have unwavering confidence because we are getting along prior to his, for lack of a better word, attacks. We've gone on multiple walks, my sister, step-dad and myself with him and he's fine. I'm guessing to just keep plugging at it?

I've tried to help exercise him by throwing the ball for him with the supervision of others. During one of these recent times, he's fetched the ball for me and returned it and all but then, out of nowhere, about 5 minutes in, he went to fetch the ball and when he came back to return it, he locked eyes on me, dropped the ball, growled and started to dash toward me. It seems like I can't win him over.

I project myself as confident and accepting and I want to be friendly with him but it seems like he doesn't want me in. I just want to know what/how I can do to be proactive and if I'm doing anything wrong.

Thanks again.
zweed4u is offline   Reply With Quote