German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - I need advice: neighbor/fence
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thorny

Default I need advice: neighbor/fence

Back Story:
I moved into a new place a few weeks ago. We've got a few acres and share a fence line with another dog family. These neighbors were best friends with the family we bought our house from. They were super friendly when we bought the house 6 months ago, but now we are involved in a court case with the previous owners (their friends) and we have not talked to or seen the neighbors since we moved in 2 weeks ago. I suspect they've heard bad talk about us from the previous home owner and are keeping their distance. Point being, there has been no communication between us in the past 3 months and I'm not totally sure why.

Current Situation:
The fence line we share with the neighbors is about 75 yards long, it's one border of my fenced-in back yard and the wire it's made of makes 5" square openings between the wires. The neighbors dogs are 2 males, 1 puppy and 1 aggressive female, all Labs. Their female sticks her head through the fence and bites at my dogs. I currently have my parent's 8 year old female lab here at my place and she's now been bit twice in 3 days. One tore her ear, and the second cut her snout. Both bites have come from the neighbors female, and both times I was in the yard with them and witnessed the bites.

(as an aside my GSD is not in danger of being bit, they act different towards him)

QUESTIONS:
1. What kind of wire mesh would you suggest I lay over the existing open mesh to keep their dogs heads out of my yard? I plan to buy a small breed dog in the future (30#'s max at full size) and I fear the puppy being bit if it ever sticks it's snout into their yard.

2. Since there seems to already be tension between us and the neighbors, would you suggest I say anything to them, or just put up the additional fence material?

Thanks to all for any feedback
Thorny is offline   Reply With Quote