German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Help! Did I make a mistake?
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
onyx'girl
Crowned Member

My experience: a Christmas surprise is never a good idea. I'd not really want two young dogs raised together again.
I hope the husband did some research and supported a good breeder, but not (m)any responsible breeders allow puppy's to be a surprise.
My husband surprised us 7 yrs ago with Onyx and had I had my way, we never would have gone with such a breeder as the one he bought her from. I was backed into a corner, because he worked so hard to surprise us and there was no way I could refuse the pup. It would have caused a whole lot of dissappointment.
I adopted a 21 month old rescue GSD when Onyx was 5 months(another mistake, but mine this time) and after Onyx was 6 months she became very reactive. Had I had only her to deal with and not the other dog or my senior Clover, I may have managed her issues better.
In hindsight, I don't regret anything, and learned so much from Onyx because of her temperament. But I'd never again have two young dogs, and especially not one from a breeder that went along with a Christmas surprise. Even though Onyx was a cute puppy and irresistable!

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-25-2013 at 07:14 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote