German Shepherds Forum banner

Tips, suggestions, help RAW for dog with autoimmune disorder

3K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  mspiker03 
#1 ·
The rescue where I help has an dog (non GSD) with an autoimmune skin disorder.

food sensitivity report from Hemopet. On the no list: chicken, corn, milk, turkey, venison, white fish, barley, lentil, oatmeal, peanuts, potato, quinoa, rabbit, salmon and sweet potato.

Since that leaves out most of the kibble diets he is going to be getting raw.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for making sure he gets what he needs.

#2 ·
duck, bison, lamb, beef?
Is there a raw distributor in the area that has exotic meat available? I wouldn't feed any veggies regardless, surprised venison was on the list, but not beef?

#4 ·
too bad about the lack of distributors. What about processors(big game?) they may have scrap they are willing to grind or chunk up for sale. Other raw distributors do ship, but of course the price is higher. For one dog, though, it may be just the same or less than some of the kibbles that are full of ingredients.

#5 · (Edited)
Again not that I know of. Small town, very rural. Population from last year was 3011. There is a grocery store and a feed store. I live about 45 min away in another small town. About 1/2 hour from us is a small processing plant for the local ranchers. I know they found some London broil and tripe at the local grocery store. (Not the white kind of tripe)

The dog is a Akita with very bad autoimmune skin problems.

#6 ·
I would do beef, no fruits and vegetables just your standard raw meal plan... probiotics, digestive enzymes, omega fatty acids, vitamin e, vitamin c... plain clean diet, easy to digest, lots of digestive + immune system support.

#10 ·
:bump:

Anyone? Total newbie here... Where do I find a standard beef raw meal plan? I've done a google search and its overwhelming. Where do we start? My dogs get kibble so I don't know where to begin.

Again this is a rescue Akita at the kennel. He has thyroid and autoimmune skin issues.

food sensitivity report from Hemopet. On the no list: chicken, corn, milk, turkey, venison, white fish, barley, lentil, oatmeal, peanuts, potato, quinoa, rabbit, salmon and sweet potato.

#17 ·
I'd also introduce natural vitamin C(esterC) as it heps support the immune system and is a natural antihistamine.
Start at 500mg then over a few days go 500 am and pm, you eventually could go a bit higher as C isn't stored in the body, but it sometimes is hard on the gut.
C isn't naturally in most raw diets, so supplementing is necessary when dogs are dealing with weakened immune systems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.