German Shepherds Forum banner

GSD Bit Trainer....

16K views 114 replies 47 participants last post by  Bequavious 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone, I am in a tough spot. I rescued a beautiful GSD 2 years ago. I knew he was not fond of men and have had him in training. He has come a VERY long WAY, fully off leash trained , recall very good dog, still not fond of most men.

Before I rescued him he was trained by someone who contracts with the rescue. I have not seen this trainer in 2 years. I referred someone I know to this trainer as she was local to his area. The trainer wanted to see me dog again so I agreed to drive down and watch her train her new rescue and have my dog see his old trainer. The old trainer is a male and he was/is well aware of his lack of fondness for men.

I saw the trainer enter the gate and immediately proceeded to the front door, I had my GSD by his Sprenger collar and we were sitting in the doorway. I wanted the trainer to clearly see I was present with my dog. Dog was sitting nicely, had a firm grip.

I was expecting the trainer to ask me to have me step outside and have the dog slow get re-acquainted with him, well thats not what happened, this trainer just walked up to him and started to put his hand out and said "heyyyyyy". I was not expecting him to keep walking towards him and began to say "whooa whooa whooa" before I knew it my GSD lunged forward and bit him in the groin, I immediately pulled him back and he sat down. It was a severe bit. GSD never growled and never barked.

Trainer said "that's exactly what he did before". I was like what? He did this before?????? I never knew he bit anyone in the past and immediately thought if you knew he did this in the past, why the heck did you just walk up to him like that.

This trainer has now hired a lawyer, is going to sue me and reported my GSD to animal control.

I offered to pay his medical bills, but he just said a lawyer will be contacting me.

I do not know what to do. I adopted him 4 months after my last GSD died (who I had for 15 years). I am worried animal control is going to seize him and get a euthanization order.

I know the dog never should have done that, but the trainer has to accept some responsibility here.

Can anyone else chime in on this ?

See less See more
#3 ·
Trainer should expect to be bitten. It is part of the job description....especially when they show dominant behavior to a dog with some baggage. The trainer set your dog up to fail. I hope you can find an attorney that is versed in bite laws...and that your dog is not held accountable for human stupidity.

#4 ·
This is what my current trainer said, my current trainer is excellent with my dog and wants to rip the guy a new one for putting him in this position KNOWING his history. I stood at the door waiting for him to tell me to come outside and slowly introduce him.

I do have a 500,000 renters insurance that does cover dog bites, so I am guessing I just need to call my insurance carrier.

I am worried animal control is going to come knocking on my door, a friend suggested I may need to have my dog "run away" , for his own good......that breaks my heart.....I do not want to give him up.

#5 ·
Sorry you are in this position.

First I would contact a lawyer.

Second If the dog has a bite history which this trainer and the rescue were aware of and never informed you I would look at turning the tables on the trainer if possible, see what the lawyer says. Just remember if he does report it to AC and the dog does in fact have a previous bite history this probably will not bode well for your dog.

Look into the laws as they pertain to dog trainers and bites, after all he is a trainer and trainers get bitten, they should have insurance to cover themselves for this.

#8 ·
seems like the trainer did it on purpose and knew he was going to get bitten so he could sue u or the rescue

dog trainers should expect to get bitten sometimes its part of their job like a vet tech, U will be fine he might get the rescue in trouble idk a gsd bit a woman in the face and she sued the rescue sad I know

#24 ·
seems like the trainer did it on purpose and knew he was going to get bitten so he could sue u or the rescue
Maybe I am cynical but this was my immediate thought as well. Selecting a dog he knew had issues and knew exactly how to set those issues off in a way that would result in a bite and then comes the lawsuit. Because no trainer would ever behave in this way unless they were trying to get bitten. Wish you all the luck in the world and will be thinking of you. Keep us posted.

#9 ·
The trainer is a scumbag.

He was more aware of the dog's issues than you were, and did that and now wants to sue you???

If by your user name, you are in Southern California, then I think it would be a good idea to look into how similar cases have been treated in the court system. Dog trainers, and Vets, and groomers are supposedly under a different system when it comes to dog bites, but it may have to do with whether the dog was under that person's control

Get a good lawyer. The rental insurance will most likely pay without a fight, but then they will drop you. And if your dog is deemed dangerous, you may be required to gcarry insuarance. So, you might want to consider using a muzzle on this dog, regardless of the outcome of this mess.

Lots of men want nothing to do with the breed. Other men seem to think all dogs love them and they know better than the girl holding the lead. Some might do exactly what this guy did. A muzzle will prevent anyone else from getting hurt, and in a pinch you can pull that bad baby off in a heart beat.

I would think you might be ok in this situation. But another guy, another day... I think a basket muzzle, at least when you are not working in class, can protect your dog.

#10 ·
I would contact a lawyer and be ready, but I bet he was just overly emotional after being bit in the groin. That happens LOL. I think this will probably blow over after he calms down and thinks about the situation.

#12 ·
So sad that he calls himself a trainer.

Good luck dealing with this coward.

#14 ·
It's safe to say no one is going to like this guy.

However, it's not o.k. for dogs to bite humans.

I think your dog is in big trouble. Animal control will be out to see and quarantine the dog. I think it lasts ten days to two weeks and they will investigate. If the dog actually did bite before and there is a record or witnesses it could be very bad for the dog. I would get a trainer who deals with dogs like this immediately, in hope of helping your dog and possibly saving it's life. You should do this anyway because your dog is dangerous.

If the animal control officer is a male, that will also be a problem. He will want to see the dog and it's not going to be in your favor if the dog acts up.
Please get professional help for your dog, regardless of what happens legally.

#16 ·
He is in training, this guy just had no business walking up to him in that manner, makes me wonder what he did to him when he trained him several years ago. My new trainer said he is willing to be deposed and testify about how poor this "trainers" technique is.

Fortunately, here in California there is assumption of risk and contributory negligence. This trainer clearly contributed to this injury by being negligent. He attempted to enter the home without permission and without properly being re-introduced to the dog.

The dog certainly should not have done this, and I did not know about his past bite history, which apparently he did.

#19 ·
Possible. We never told him to come inside the property, he was coming to train my girlfriends rescue and this "trainer" specifically asked to see my dog! He wanted to see him again!

Perhaps this is why he was so cocky walking up to him, but he had not seen the dog for two years.

The dog should not have done this, BUT I was just trying to get other input to gauge if others thought the trainer was also at fault.

#22 ·
If you are a homeowner and California is anything like Florida your HO policy will pretty much pay to the limits of the policy regardless of the severity of the bite.

And cancel you of course.

If you do get cancelled there are companies that offer insurance for dogs with a bite history.

Sorry this happened. The trainer needs to find a new line of work.

#23 ·
Shame on the trainer for knowing what this dog was capable of and set him up for failure. anyone who calls themselves a trainer should fully expect to be bitten at some point in time. although a good trainer with common sense and being able to read dogs should not get bitten. this all sounds a bit fishy, and i hope you do get a lawyer and again being a trainer he puts himself in a position to possibly be bitten at some point in his career. you should have a case right there. anyone who 's business is being around dogs. dog training takes that risk on when they take the job. Sorry that happened, this guy is obviously an idiot and then some.

#27 ·
Your dog has reacted as a dog trained to protect his owner. I suspect, he was trained this way originally. So, in this case he did nothing wrong. One thing is absent in all of this: he musn't do a move without your command. He is not old, he listens your commands, and be prepared to work on him further.
What you would have to do - is to split his action: "Go on, bite!" and "What a nice doggy you are!". First one is traned in a Schutz club, and the second in a busy places with one condition - you will muzzle your dog, just in something like Royal Nappa Leather Padded Dog Muzzle, which wouldn't frighten people, so they will come to stroke your dog on his spine (not head). Your second step - to choose less busy areas, so aloowing your dog to isolate the person. Only then you can meet an individual in an empty room (clastrophobic! it works for majority of cases), preferably a child, so this person wouldn't appear threatening.

#30 ·
in YOUR favour
you have had the dog for two years without incident
you acted responsibly taking the dog to training
you have been able to demonstrate obedience with off leash control and very good recalls
you are aware that he still is not reliable with accepting men and have managed him to avoid problems

getting bitten is an occupational hazard for a trainer
(vets are in the same boat)
this is especially true of a person who works with a rescue organization - a bite is a possibility with an animal in great stress , or in the evaluation of re-homing suitability

he knew the dog

you had the dog under control
you had the dog in view
you tried to prevent -- trainer did not listen , so that bite was caused by his actions

the dog was not out of control after the bite - (you pulled him back and he sat down) - I think this is an important statement

that sequence makes me wonder if the dog may have had some bite training? some amateur attempt --- which you have no knowledge -

I don't see that you have been irresponsible .

in the meantime keep doing your obedience training
perfect it - so that you can demonstrate your efforts , the relationship and controllability that you have with the dog -- get a video of it

#31 ·
Thank you for the replies and well wishes.

I have worked so hard with him , I have spent THOUSANDS training him and countless hours on the field myself with him alone. He LOVES women, in fact, my pet sitter is a 105 lb 5'2 girl who he adores and never has an issue with. He is 120 lbs so, the dog weighs more than she does.

I wasn't going to give up on this dog, but now have to wonder if they are going to seek a court order to take him away.

I reported the incident to state farm today, I do have a high limit policy for personal liability.

Can anyone recommend an insurance carrier that would accept a dog like this ? Please PM me as I think posting a company names is prohibited.

I would love to post a photo of my dog, but probably not a good idea at the moment.......

#34 ·
Well you got the support you were looking for.

The thing is no one here knows you or the trainer and there are two sides to every story. I'll take a wild guess and say that I doubt the trainers story will be the same as yours.

Thankfully, the law doesn't work based on one side of an issue.

I'm actually amazed that adults on this board take a first time poster at face value and judge someone who has not been heard from.

The guy may be what he has been accused of by many but we don't know that.

What we do know is your dog doesn't like men, wasn't muzzled, bit someone who was not an immediate threat, and you didn't have control or weren't observant enough to stop him.

You invited him and recommended him to your friend. When someone is invited to a home you will not be able to make trespass an issue.

Best of luck, your going to need it, because members of this board won't be in court with you. Even if they were pre-judgements based on one side of a storyare not good testimony.

#35 ·
Fortunately, I have an eye witness, who saw the entire incident AND heard my verbal warning of "whooa whooa whooa".

I would never walk up to a strange dog, never, and I certainly wouldn't approach one I had knowledge of a previous bite. I am not a "professional trainer", you would think a "professional trainer" would know how to approach a dog.

#48 ·
The thing that bothers me about the story is: why does the trainer say that your dog had previously bitten him? How does he know, when you obviously don't? Did you leave your dog alone with him at some point? Does he offer a 'board and train' type of thing?

He trained the dog before I rescued him! The rescue sent him to this "trainer" before I ever met him. I had no idea he ever bit anyone. All I knew was that he liked to chase bikes and skateboards and not fond of men.

I had ZERO knowledge of a bite history

#37 ·
the "trainer" had foreknowledge of the dogs peculiarity .

he continued to approach - with this knowledge AND being asked to stop

to be given a groin bite he was very close

the OP made herself and the dog very obvious so that he did not step into a booby trap --- no surprises , not for the dog , not for the trainer

as a professional he should have been able to see the big picture

the trainer had a long approach and should have been able to size things up --

-- the dog was under control " had my GSD by his Sprenger collar and we were sitting in the doorway. ................. Dog was sitting nicely, had a firm grip."

A professional , experienced with the dogs that end up in rescue , often surrenders because of behavioural problems should have known better (trained by someone who contracts with the rescue)

A dog sitting close -- HELD - tight , with a fast approach , forward person will be stimulated into fight --- this is a technique for protection work, schutzhund sport -- hold dog tight , frustration , opposition reflex all coming together -- or for a fearful dog no chance to avoid or escape same result - pre emptive strike .

He should know that .

#39 ·
Why does everyone automatically believe this incident happened as told here. The OP could be 100% accurate or could be revising history in a favorable view .
I live in California and guarantee you that the law will not ( or animal control) will not be swayed by one persons version of events.

I would also add that if she has had the dog for two years and it's in training, then her present trainer is not doing a much better job. The dog still bites. If it bit this guy it will probably bite some one else given the chance.
I'm beginning to understand why people do sue, no one seems to care that this dog is unpredictable and will bite under some circumstances.

People are so hung up on what a low life, incompetent trainer (they have not heard from)he is, they are forgetting whose responsibility it is to keep their dog from biting. Can anyone say "muzzle".

#38 ·
We've all got our own pictures in our individual heads about what's happening here. I'm wondering if this has nothing to do with the dog's attitude towards men in general, but is more about this trainer in particular.
I'm wondering how exactly he trains - if at some point the dog felt that a correction was unfair - and the dog remembers this person.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.