German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - A little too territorial of property?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
EscapeTheFate

Default A little too territorial of property?

Hi!

I live in Tuscany, Italy, in a small villa with acres of fields surrounded by gates. Lately, if any person strange to my dogs (mostly my male German Shepherd and male Dogue de Bordeaux) approaches the gates, my dogs will run to the gates, snarling, snapping, and barking at the person until they leave.

In one case, the person didn't leave, and my German Shepherd ran forward and leaped onto the person. He didn't bite, but pinned the person to the ground.

I'm getting a little worried, as my female dogs don't act this way. I'm worried because I have a 2 year old daughter in the area, and my 9 year old little sister. If my dogs mistake them once for an intruder, the kids could get hurt.

Is this a male-dog thing? Are they protecting their land, or themselves? Most days, my 5 males (A German Shepherd, Dogue de Bordeaux, Rottweiler, Neo Mastiff, and Cane Corso) will spend their time patrolling the walls, and growling anytime they hear a noise. My females (A GS, Rottweiler, and Maremma Sheepdog) just remain calm, watching them with confused expressions on their face.

I rarely have family come over, since I live with my cousins, sisters, and aunt and uncle. But when they do come, my grandfather was almost attacked by my male GSD until Cesare recognized his familiar scent.

So my question is....

Are my dogs being too territorial? Do I need to control them more, as in keeping them indoors or something. They are both out and indoors. Is there something that is bothering them? I get nervous, thinking somebody that could do harm to my family is out there.
EscapeTheFate is offline   Reply With Quote