German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - My puupy turned into a bully!
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Biosphere

Default My puupy turned into a bully!

My puppy turned into a bully, any advise how on how to handle this and break him of his bad habits? This isnít just at home, but if we visit friends and family he becomes a bully. Weíve tried ignoring him but sometimes itís not us he wants the attention from.

Example 1) When someone pets our older dog, if heís not already being pat heíll push our older dog aside.

Example 2) When our older dog picks up a ball (or anything else) to play with our puppy runs over and takes it. If he canít just take it heíll bark and whine until our older dog gives up and walks away from the toy.

Example 3) When our older dog decides itís time for a nap out on our deck our puppy wonít leave him be. Barks, whines, sometimes even paws at him until he get up. Once the older dog does get up our puppy follows him. The barking stops until he lays down outside again, rinse and repeat until our older dog comes inside.

Example 4) When our older dog lays down on one of the dog bed (we have two they both use) our puppy again barks, whines and paws at him until he gets up. Our puppy will lay down on the bed he just took. If our older dog goes to the other the puppy is back up to harass him and take the bed again. The only time he leaves him alone is early morning / late night when theyíre both still sleepy; if our older dog lays on the floor instead of a bed; or if our older dog lays on the couch next to one of us.

Example 5) Thereís also a list of things he wonít do or take.
A dogís food if theyíre eating out of the bowl, otherwise itís a community dish. Wonít touch our older dogís crate. Wonít touch the bone / rawhide we gave our older dog, sit and watch but no barking and keeps a reasonable distance. Ignores it when our older dog looks for a spot to go to the bathroom. Ignores our dog if we have his attention playing/walking/petting or if heís busy waiting for me. IE if I take my shower Iíve been told he lays at the door and ignores everyone until I come out.

I know itís a long list and thank you for taking the time to read it all. I just want to try and paint an accurate picture for anyone who might have some advice on the subject.
Biosphere is offline   Reply With Quote