German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Flatness in obedience
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
VomBlack
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to VomBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Incorporate the tug work into the obedience? Ask for a position or two and then bam playtime as the reward for a bit. Out him ask for obedience bam playtime again. Play and work gotta mix. Make sure you are both having fun and that you aren't drilling the dog. Obedience out of drive from the tug should bring that energy up. Keep the sessions short and leave him wanting more. Think about maybe layering some negative reinforcement in there too on recalls. As long as you are tactful about it you might be able to light a little fire under that butt.

Another thing to keep in mind. How many extra curriculars is he getting? If hes doing a 5 hour hike a day or running like crazy playing with other dogs hes not going to have as much energy to put into the work.

I try to keep his other activity light on days that I'd like to work on some obedience with him to make sure he's not overly tired.

I have also really tried to make it about play lately and not drill him, the complete switch in drive/energy level once he realizes that I'm going to start throwing work into his play lately has been crazy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Odin TT, CGC, TDI, RA, OFA H/E (2/13/09)

"Utility is the true criterion of beauty."
- Captain Max von Stephanitz
VomBlack is offline   Reply With Quote