German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Hunter's first hunting trip
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hunter's Dad
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Katy Tx.
Posts: 83
Default Hunter's first hunting trip

We started loading the truck at 5am friday for the 5 day stay at deercamp. Hunter knew that it was going to be a special day because of all the preps and activity the day before. Coolers, duffle bags, pillows and bedding, rifles, among other things carefully stacked in the living room and ready to go.

He didn't eat much that morning because of the excitement in the air. He walked around us but would keep at least one of us in plain sight at all times. We let him out in the backyard when we began taking things outside to be loaded. From that point he wouldn't even go back in the house. He paced the fenceline whining with an occasional bark as we worked. When we went back insisde to sit and drink coffee before we left, he sat in the chair outside with the truck in view. He was not gonna miss out on this. No way!

Getting him to jump in the truck was not much of a hassle (never is) and we were off and rolling on the 4 hour drive to camp.

By the time we arrived, the temp had already been below freezing since the previous day and was falling at a steady rate. I immediately began stacking firewood on the porch to keep it out of the sleet and freezing rain that I knew we were gonna get hit with.

When we finished unloading the truck, we got our first bad news that I kinda expected anyway. No running water. The pipes under the cabin were frozen solid. So I went out to the well tank and filled several 5 gallon Ozarka jugs that I keep there for such a time as this. Then the wind started to pick up, as did the sleet and freezing rain and never let up for the rest of the day. We were stuck inside.

Now to get the cabin cozy. We got a good roaring fire going and cranked up the propane stove to warm the place up. I made a warm bed for Hunter by putting couch cousions on the floor with his big doggie mattress over them covered with sheets. He liked that. We stayed inside all day and all that night going out only for his potty breaks. He loved just laying in his bed and gazing into the fire.

The next day never got above freezing The official low was 22 but the thermometer on the porch read 19. It would have been muddy but the ground was frozen and seemed strangely dry. Hunter was up before dawn and ate his breakfast in about 0.3 seconds and was at the door doing his circle dance. So we got bundled up and went for a walk. He was in the clouds! I have never seen this gator so excited. We hit the field for some hiking fun.

Check out these strange ice formations. Razor thin, would shatter when touched.

More pics to come..

Last edited by Hunter's Dad; 12-14-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Hunter's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote