German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Feel like such a failure...
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
LisaKinVA

Default Feel like such a failure...

It's only been one week, but I'm beginning to think the first week didn't count (all of the change/stress...my puppy obviously wasn't herself). Well, she's a totally different puppy this week!

OH MY!

Last week...she didn't nip or bite. I thought...maybe we got a more laid back puppy. This week? The little bugger hasn't met a hand, shoe, jacket, pant leg that doesn't make her want to bite. We redirect...going the no biting us route (I have 5 kids...the only things I want her biting at this point are her toys!)

This morning, I was working with her (high value treats...pork sauteed in bacon grease...lucky pup), to try to get her not to bite my hand when I reached for her. I thought the session was a stunning success, because I got her to sit there calmly while she was petted and loved on (I was sitting on the ground with her...she was in my lap, next to me, I stood up and leaned over to pet her...all good. At some point she realized I was out of treats...and it was Game Over. Next thing I know, she's on my hand, my jacket, my upper arm (got a piece of me there), my leg, my feet...and I have to physically pry her mouth off (our shirt/jackets are stuck on her teeth, and she doesn't rally know the "off" command yet (working on it...she'll do it with treats...but not without).

And that's what it seems like. As long as I have treats, she's the most compliant, interested puppy around. I can lure her into a sit, a down, go off-leash in a fenced, private area and she won't leave my side. I can put a treat in my hand, and she will sniff/lick, no biting...I say "off" and she's off like a shot, and gets the reward. But, as soon as the treats are gone...UGH.

I think I wore her out. Brought her back upstairs to our apartment, and she just sacked out in her ex-pen. (Before anyone worries about raising a GSD in an apartment...we're in temporary quarters, and should be moving into a large villa with a very large yard and a pool...and only a few stairs in about a week).

She's lost all of her baby teeth, and her permanent teeth are in various stages of coming in...so tugging on her tugs is actually a bit difficult. Some parts of them are too big...others still slide right through her teeth. And, re-directing to those hasn't been particularly successful (we still try, but she'd still rather grab my shoe or my jacket...or other parts of my anatomy...UNLESS I have treats).

I've read the threads, I've watched the videos, reading articles...so I guess what I do is keep doing what we're doing (re-direct, stop the playing...teaching off...)? What do I do about her nipping at the kids? Do I just keep her away from the kids for the next 3-4 months?

I'm trying to teach my kids not to react so spastic around her -- that their actions get her excited -- but when she gets into that bite-everything mode...UGH (I'm not spastic around her, but when she's nipping at every body part...it's not like I can just walk away. If we're upstairs, and she gets like that I put her in her ex-pen or her crate...but when I'm OUTSIDE, there is no where to put her.)

I'm trying to be patient, but the biting is going to get really old, really fast.
LisaKinVA is offline   Reply With Quote