German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Help! GSD is growling at male visitors
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Alley

Default Help! GSD is growling at male visitors

Quick background: Military flunked him for "no work drive." They told us he's "not aggressive at all." Wasn't even potty trained when we got him in May. He's 2 years old.

All of a sudden he's growling at male visitors. One guy was a maintenance man who 6'4 or 6'5 and I thought that since the guy was so tall that that was why our dog acted slightly growly.

Then tonight a man came over who is about 5'7 or 5'8 (my height) and he growled at him too.

We have kids and their friends come over a lot -- and the moms pick up the kids. No growling at the moms or kids. Just the dads. (And I'm pretty certain the military guys were kind to him; he initially was glued to my husband.)

My thought is to put a treat on the front porch and ask the visitors to pick up a treat and hand it to our dog as they're coming inside.

Good idea? Bad idea? I just thought that might help my dog understand that visitors are good.

HOWEVER. . . my husband travels and I'd love for my dog to growl if the wrong sort of person shows up. So now what?!

Would love any and all ideas!

Alley
Alley is offline   Reply With Quote