German Shepherds Forum banner

The more comfy he gets...

660 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  misslesleedavis1 
#1 ·
Well its been 3 weeks :) love my new dude, but i am noticing he is growling and barking at the older kids ONLY when they enter the house at night, and he is not doing it with the 10 and 12 year old. I am firm with him, i tell him no and he continues on his marry growling way anyways. So when they come over this weekend he will get the crate. Is this i sign of problems to come? he went to the vets yesterday because he was under the weather..vet managed him without issues, he was absolutely amazing with the vet, let him do anything. I am worried if i dont curb this sorta stuff now i will be dealing with one large dog that thinks he needs to be mister guardy pants even with the people who belong here. ANY suggestions?

#2 ·
Just have a REAL treat jar (so not dry milk bones so much as a higher value softer yummy treat) right by the door. Have people come in the house ignoring the dog, open the treat jar being vocal about how amazingly wonderful and yummy the treats are...

Then have them either hand or toss the treat to him...

All you need to do is make new people WONDERFUL that you allow into the house. :) String cheese is good too :)

#3 ·
Not sure if you have a puppy or adult, but Nikki Ivey has a section on this is her new book When Love Isn't Enough: A Guide for dog Fosters, Rescues, and Owners. (Avail on Amazon for instant download for e-reader is you have one.) she has you give the dog treats when he is calm ( across the room if needed) and have the newcomer ignore you and stand just inside the door. It's worth getting the book! Also, is there something about the older kids that is frightening such as wearing a hat, facial hair, tall male?
I think you can totally get past this with time and training. Best of luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.