German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Susan Garrett on +R training (including discussion on IPO)
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Merciel
Elite Member

So for the benefit of people who don't want to watch the whole thing, you can stop at a little after the 11-minute mark and get all of the part pertaining to IPO/fieldwork (and, although she doesn't come out and say it, I think probably competition obedience too, since that's the other major sport with a long history of punishment-based training).

I thought it was a good primer but I didn't really feel that there was a ton of new material there. Then again, that might just be what I think because I already camp out on discussion lists and blogs where these topics are frequently discussed, so maybe that's just my view.

I did like Garrett noting that a lot of +R trainers disdain the sports with more punishment-based traditions and that dismissiveness is not helpful for anyone. I know I've been guilty of that one in the past myself, and it's always good to have a reminder that it's not conducive to understanding or communication.

Anyway, thanks for posting the youtube, I'm always happy to hear what the greats have to say.