German Shepherds Forum banner

Doggy backpack

920 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Chicagocanine 
#1 ·
I just got a new backpack for my buddy baron. He's 8 months old and I'm wondering how much weight is OK for him to carry?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
I personally don't start weight on them until they're fully grown. 8 months would be a bit too early to add weight IMO.

When I do start adding weight, I build them up gradually just like someone would at the gym with lifting weights. First I let them get used to the backpack (empty) on their back, then move to a pound or so at a time as they get in shape and conditioned with it, I add more. The general rule of thumb is a max 1/3 the dog's body weight for a fit and active dog (one that has been conditioned for this). Though, my dogs don't carry anymore than 5-10lbs at a time and I give them breaks without the pack often when we are on the trails. They technically could hold much more than that.

Whatever you feel is comfortable for your dog, that's the biggest thing. Some dogs may struggle at just a few pounds, some may need you to monitor the weight as they won't be bothered even when it's too much for their body.

#5 ·
I think if you weight it for an 8mo, it should only be minimal, maybe wait until after 1yo to weight, however just wearing it with no weights may have favourable outcomes - dog may be more calmer.

For fully grown shepherd, in each side of the backpack I started with 500gm (full water bottle), then 1kg, then maximum I ever used was 2kg in each side.

#6 ·
I have built my shiloh up over the year, she started out with 1 water bottle for a while, then 2, and now when we backpack up in Algonquin she takes her food supply, and 2 litres of water with her. She is not a full GSD, she is a huge mix of stuff and she is built like Arnold in his prime, solid muscle, wide body. She can haul 20 pounds of stuff thru the bush no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.