German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - How old was your dog before she was housebroken?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mell4now

Default How old was your dog before she was housebroken?

I became Greta's owner when she was 6 months of age. She came to me completely crate trained but not 100% housebroken. She is now 7 months old and although the accidents are rather infrequent, 1-2/week I am getting concerned that her bladder/bowel control is "selective" when outside the crate. She also asks to go out every 2 hours to pee. In her defense her previous owners were able to bring her to work every day so she never had to hold it for extended periods when outside her crate.

By comparison, my Male Golden retriever "Moose" was completely housebroken at 4 months old and the crate was disassembled at 6 months. My husband and I work full time and even when we went into overtime (9 +hours) he would NOT pee or poop in the house (unless he had tummy troubles).

Greta easily goes a full work day in the crate with no accidents but is not showing signs that she is anywhere near ready to be left in our home for even 3 hours without relieving herself.

Was Moose just extremely easy to housebreak? Or is Greta slow to learn that outside is her bathroom. I am now training Greta the same way I did Moose... hopefully she will be able to ditch the crate in a few months.

She also pees 3-5 times when let out in the morning and after work. Moose emptied his bladder all in 1 shot.

How old before your dog was housebroken?
Please don't judge me by my lack of punctuation, excessive punctuation, spelling or grammatical errors that may or may not be randomly found throughout my posts... I know there's mistakes here somewhere,but it takes too long to find 'em!!

Last edited by Mell4now; 12-08-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Mell4now is offline   Reply With Quote